My Kaiju Has Arrived!

ebag4 · 12729

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 11:17:43 AM
The Kaiju has really opened up and is sounding sweet. Clear, dynamic, outstanding.  Has just hit about 100 hrs on the Kaiju and about 70 hrs on the clarity and Jupiter caps.  Sitting here with a big grin.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:30:30 PM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:29 AM
My new one has broken in too. It was a bit compressed/constrained sounding for the first few hours. Now it seems to surpass the Paramounts I was using previously.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ebag4

Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 02:59:43 PM
Good to hear Doc, were your Paramounts running 300b or 2A3?  I have never heard a 300b until now, once I have the Kaiju the way I want it I will do some comparisons with my Stereomour.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 03:01:24 PM
All of my Paramounts ran 300Bs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ebag4

Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 11:51:33 AM
Received my GE 5 star black plate 5670s today.  Only a couple of hours on them, the sound great but no significant difference to the 5670s that came with the Kaiju, so far anyway.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:52:44 PM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline ebag4

Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 03:24:48 PM
Let the break-in begin....again  ;D

I recieved my replacement Jupiter Copper foil, they are burning in now.

The Kaiju is sounding great, the 5 stars are shining.  I am considering the DC conversion although I would like to be able to install a switch (or two) to be able to go back to AC, I don't know what changes are made to the base build or if it is possible.

Reading numerous reviews on various 300Bs, I would like to roll a pair or two to determine the differences.  Going with the JJ 2A3s in my Stereomour was a significant upgrade in sound, I would like to find out if the same holds true for the Kaiju .

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:58:58 PM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline drewh1

Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 04:39:57 PM
should be possible to switch it in and out of AC/DC.  to install the DC, You basically reroute the heater wires (4 green) to the DC regulator board and run 4 wires from the DC board to the heater terminals. I guess you would need to make sure the switch you use isolates the two loads completely while switching.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline drewh1

Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 02:56:38 PM
I hear you on this break-in stuff. Tubes are just starting to sound decent and tomorrow I install some new Mundorf silver/oil 10uf caps. 

Just to give you a little feedback on the EML's. they are starting to open up and sound fantastic. Very holographic and the soundstage is excellent.  They have the same clarity and detail in the highs as my 2a3's with really solid bass. These are very musical and engaging tubes. Hopefully with a few more hours they will sound even better. Very happy with the tubes, although I will never buy anything from TubesUSA again for obvious reason.

just blew a driver tube though, sparked and the glass cracked. Pretty dramatic.  Maybe have to try some other varieties.  Bummer, I was just starting to have fun!

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline ebag4

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 03:18:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Drew. I like your comments regarding 2a3 clarity, sounds like what I am looking for.  Hopefully you'll get some cooperation regarding a replacement tube.

Edit: I read driver but was thinking your EML power tube, glad it's not the EML!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:26:44 AM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline ebag4

Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:37 PM
The Kaiju continues to sound better, the Jupiter Coppers are breaking in nicely and I like their sound better than the Wax.  I believe the improvement in sound is attributable to the coppers as the rest of the amp is starting to get quite a few hours on it, the 10uF clarity MRs may still have a way to go but I doubt there is too much change left in them.

The Kaiju is officially a good move for me.  I love my Stereomour but the Kaiju is digging a little deeper I think, even hi passed around 70hz, the lower midrange/upper bass seem to be more dynamic and the mids are amazing, I'm really loving it.  It seems to be a bit more effortless with my 94dB speakers although the difference is subtle at the levels I listen.  I can't wait to try some other 300Bs.  I think I will go ahead with the DC filament supply to see if I can get that last bit of hum out of the system and to open the door for the EMLs.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:50:37 AM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline drewh1

Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:47 AM
You will appreciate the DC supply, i highly recommend it.  As soon as I am back up and running, i'll give you more feedback on the EML's. I want to hear them with the Mundorf Silver/Oil. I did have to put some resistors in parallel to get the filament voltage up to spec with the EML's, but that was quite easy and you can find the values on my thread. - and you can bet I am glad it was only a driver tube.  I did order some NOS 5670's to try so more stuff to break-in. (BTW, I did not drop that f-n tube)

I also agree with your Stereomour comments. I am using mine again (waiting on tube) and although it has some nice qualities, It is no match for the Kaiju, The Kaiju has much more presence, is more 3d, and definitely has more impactful bass. Instrument separation and clarity is remarkable. One major audible difference between the Sovtek's and EML's is in high frequency clarity and response, definitely more clarity and definition in cymbals and bells sounds with the EML's, even surpassing the 2a3's.  I am just so happy they introduced it as I really wanted a simple system, without all the extra cables and chords, so it is a nice compromise to monoblocks. (Edit having said that I would love to hear my stereomour through some 100 dB speakers and plan on just that in my second system)

I don't know what your budget is but you should also take a look at the Tatatsuki's - expensive but supposedly amazing both in sound and build quality.  I am happily saving up for a pair.

drew.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:54:14 AM by drewh1 »

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 08:39:24 AM
I'm sorry that you think I am accusing you of something. I'm certainly not disputing what happened and I believe what you say. I'm just trying to educate about the mechanism behind such a violent demise. A tube blows like that because it gets gas inside. The gas comes in either through a crack or a bad seal. In the case of a crack, as soon as the air gets inside the getter flashing turns white, like within 30 seconds. Once it is in that state it will blow when powered up. If the tube has a hard vacuum it might arc inside if it has a fault like a grid short, but it won't explode. If it has a small amount of gas from a slow leak from a bad seal the getter flashing usually does it's job and "gets" the gas, rehardening the vacuum. That is why some tubes show thinning of their getter flashing or no getter flash left at all.

It's possible that the tube cracked from heat cycling. I've just not seen this happen in my limited experience.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline drewh1

Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:28 AM
Hey doc. Thanks clarifying and
No worries. I am just a bit defensive after that whole affair with you know who. I was really careful with the build as I have invested a lot into it so that might also be a part of me taking it personally. It is of course to easy to read into comments made on forums.

Bottom line kaiju is a great amp and I am glad you offer it.  Sorry to hijack the thread, let's get back to enjoying our music.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline drewh1

Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 07:18:44 PM
BTW. Looks like tubeaudiostore.com is another source for Eml's.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline ebag4

Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 03:31:12 PM
How do I order the DC filament board without reordering the Kaiju?  Can it be done online or do I need to call while BH is open?

Thanks,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!