ground buss meaurements

fritzthecat · 1492

Offline fritzthecat

• Analog Chris - Fritzthecat
    • Lakeside Audio Association
on: July 20, 2016, 05:09:57 AM
I just wonder about the values fellow builders get when measuring the ground buss resistances? I built a stock Kaiju and there I ended up with Values from 0.4 to 0.6 Ohms.

With the second Kaiju - using Teflon sheated solid core silver wire the values are lower - O,2 Ohms throughout all measurement ponts. To me its clear, everything below 1 Ohm is okay - but the impact of using solid core silver and high percentage silver solder being that high surprised me quite a bit - so it makes me wonder if my first build wasn't that well done as the resistance values range between .4-.6 Ohms? As a perfectionist I checked each solder joint with a magnifying glass and they are all okay - for the stock Kaiju I used 4 percent silver solder wire.
What are your experiences regarding this?

In the end I want to compare between stock Kaiju and boutique parts Kaiju to find out if it's worth playing with these expensive parts and wiring.

@doc: you wondered how I want to determine the "best" parts - I want to compare - thats how - and in the end reliability, availability and my ears decide...

Anyway: thanx for these great kits - I'm looking forward a lot to the Bee Pre I ordered...;)

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
Apple Mac Pro / Media Center 23
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
AN Kits L3 Phono / Bottlehead EROS
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)
Silvercore 833C for (Klipschorn/Crites)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:00 AM
The chances are exceptionally high that the extra resistance you were reading was either across your test leads or in your solder joints. At this point you do not have enough data to assume that the wire is making the difference you are measuring. If you use the same meter to compare the resistance of an equal length piece of each type of wire you have a much better chance of getting some useful data regarding the influence of the wire itself. Even then the level of oxidation on each piece of wire will influence the readings. You should probably do this measurement many times with many different pieces of wire to get a useful sample and do an error analysis.

Aside from that, you have not hypothesized what a measured difference means in terms of the performance of the amp. I will suggest that if you go down this path you need to adopt some basic scientific method.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.