Where can I send a top plate to get painted?

mingles · 1957

Offline mingles

• My system
on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:43 PM
Hello,

I've procrastinated long enough with my Crack. I'm embarrassed to say when I bought it. I still don't have it together. I painted the top plate, but I didn't like how it turned out with crinkles and imperfections. There must be a place where I can send it to get painted. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:50 AM
Any local powder coating shop can handle the job for you.  If you just tell them that you want it black, and that you're not in a hurry, they can throw it in with a group of other parts and you can get a better deal.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline STURMJ

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:30 PM
Try a autobody shop.

Offline mingles

• My system
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:27 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the replies. I know there are shops around the Bay area, but I haven't had time to investigate. It does seem like investigation work that needs to be done Monday through Friday between 8-5 when I'm at work, which is why I haven't done it. Auto body/powder coating shops are not open on Sat. It would be so much easier to put the plate in the mail and have it come back to me finished. I'm not in any hurry. I bought the kit 2.5 years ago, but I'm listening to headphones a lot more these days and would love to get this thing up and running.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:31:17 PM by mingles »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:29 AM
You can mail the plate to the closest powder coating shop with instructions written inside and your e-mail address.

If you say that you want it black, and that you don't care about gloss, texture, or time, I assure you that the cost will be reasonable and the communication minimal.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mingles

• My system
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:58:34 PM
Thanks PB. That's a good idea.

Offline sl-15

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:47:17 PM
i see you live in berkeley, so do i. there is one company that i know because we use them at my work. we get bicycle frames powder coated there occasionally. i am sure you can just email them and figure out how to get it to them and what it would cost etc. they usually can paint most of the RAL colors. you can look up these colors here:

http://www.ralcolor.com/

there are a few bicycle shops in the bay area that will have these charts in their store if you want to look at these colors in daylight which is always different to how they look on a computer screen. one shop that has them for sure is Manifesto in Oakland and they are open  saturday and sundays. once you decide on a color you give them the code at the powder coating place.
i could also help you out and give it a try myself refinishing your top plate with spraypaint. i am not a master spraypainter but i feel like i have done it plenty times in my life that the results are usually quite acceptable. just pm me if you want my help
here is the weblink for the powder coat place:

http://www.maasbrothersinc.com/

good luck, stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa