help with clipping

aragorn723 · 469

Offline aragorn723

on: August 25, 2019, 02:51:46 PM
Hello,

I have a bottlehead quickie in my system that feeds an Inter-m R500 amplifier.  Recently I moved the system from the living room to the bedroom, and for a few days it worked perfectly.  Played a CD today thru a Rotel CD player, and now the clip lights are coming up at low volume.  There is also audible distortion (clip lights are on both channels).  The speakers are Definitive Technology BP6Bs.  What do I need to do to track down this problem?  Never had an issue with clipping before.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:53:56 PM
You should divide up the system to see if the amp, preamp, or source is the issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:34:53 PM
Looks like the issue was a wire strand at one of the speaker connections that touched the other terminal.  Played the music with no clipping earlier.  Will have to test it out some more when the kids are awake.

Thanks!

Dave

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:56:03 PM
Don't you just love it when a solution is that simple?!? 

I've had a few things like this pop up from time to time as well.  I've found that the best approach is to make things as simple as possible to track down the problem:  Start with a different set of speakers.  Then a different amp.  Different cables.  Then a different source device.  Make only a single change at a time in an effort to isolate the problem.

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!