Current status

Doc B. · 20013

Offline ironbut

Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15:40 AM
The Bee looks awesome Dan!
And you got some comfy looking seating for listening. Once you get it all dialed in, folks are never gonna want ta leave!

steve koto

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 10:02:57 AM
And... the 6.4 x 10 to the fourth question....is there an expected ship date Doc?

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:19 AM
And... the 6.4 x 10 to the fourth question....is there an expected ship date Doc?

Packing has begun, and the manual is at about 60% completion (steps being photography, draft writing, photo editing, and text editing, we are at photo/text editing right now).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:37 AM
Thanks Paul

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:00 AM
I plan to try some Audiocap film and foil caps next week. Right now I am experimenting with rearranging the positions of the drivers in my speakers after a listening session on Friday. Some new, slightly lower seating seemed to make the image kind of high in the room. I have to redo time alignment and trim levels, then we will do some comparison of the stock metallized caps vs. Audiocaps.
Where did you get the shelving that

Offline denti alligator

Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 11:40:50 AM
Looks like Ikea Expedit. I've been meaning to get these myself. Ideal for LPs.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline caffeinator

Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:44 PM
I can confirm those are IKEA Expedit...great for LP's, easy to assemble.  Lots of posts on the Vinyl Asylum about them.  Two thumbs up, as far as I"m concerned.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:44 AM
Well, after a lot of consideration the compromises I'd have to make to my system in order to dedicate the top shelf of the rack to the BeePre, it's probably something I just can't dco right now.

Of course I still have no idea how good my BH custom preamp will sound, but I'm certain it will be fantastic.

I think my best bet is to go with what my gut is telling me, and that is a pair of 2a3 paramounts for the Nagas.  BeePre will have to be a project for later.  In the mean time I'm going to be watching and listening to what all the new BeePre owners have to say.

-- Jim

Paul -- thanks -- 10" is the max shelf clearance on my rack, so I'd have to check out if my TT could go in that space and the pre on top.  Still pondering...

Hey Aaron, you're right! :-)

I've got to take some time to heal first then I can regroup and plan the next steps.  Looks like Dowdys will be coming next week.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:14 AM
Not to confuse the issue  :^)  but the BeePre should work with a 6B4G, which is 1.25" shorter than a 300B.

It needs an octal socket of course, and nobody has tried it or listened to one yet. But I just mention it anyhow.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 02:08:35 PM
Curse you, Red Barron!  No, sorry, really have to do the paramounts first, but this may be a real possibility for later on unless I decide to build a larger rack at some point.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:29 PM
Jim,

A larger rack is always nice....   (I couldn't help myself there.)   It seems the perfect answer to the problem.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:13 PM
Yes, except that my current rack is a really beautiful piece of handcrafted furniture with specially tuned composit shelves made of 6 types of woodd and 4 kinds of glue.  Mortise and tenon joints all around and not at all inexpensive.  And yes, I can definitely hear a difference in sound quality with this rack.

As I said, maybe someday...

-- Jim

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 07:00:43 AM
Well, I am 45 minutes into proofreading the complete draft of the BeePre manual.  I think that those who are experienced Bottlehead kit builders will appreciate some of the tweaks we have made to make the building process simpler.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:51 PM
The gang is totally committed to getting the first BeePres out today. I think they got the first six packed and Eileen is going to run them to the UPS store since we already had our pickup this afternoon. Since we are actually packing and shipping kit, this means any new Bee Pre orders will not be what we would consider pre-orders.  But I will continue the free power cord kit offer thru Sunday to anyone who orders this weekend.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 01:36:56 PM
This is a great day!

Xavier Cortes