Bottlehead Kits > Jaeger Speaker

Distortion in the woofers

(1/2) > >>

oguinn:
Today in the right channel I started noticing some distortion in the woofers. At first I chalked it up to a scratched record but I noticed it happened on all inputs.

Here's what I've done so far:

* Removed the Kaiju, which would have normally driven the woofers, from the chain and drove with only the Stereomour II. The issue persisted.
* Tried multiple inputs. Issue persisted
Here's what I plan to try next:

* Once the BeePre tubes cool I plan to swap them. I anticipate this will not be the issue. (BeePre tube issue)
* Swap the crossover boards to see if the problem follows the board. (passive crossover issue)
* Swap the left and right cables to see if the issue follows the channel (BeePre construction issue/speaker issue)
Anything else I ought to try?

oguinn:
Updates as I get them. Here's what I've done so far:

* Removed the Kaiju, which would have normally driven the woofers, from the chain and drove with only the Stereomour II. The issue persisted.
* Tried multiple inputs. Issue persisted
* Swap the left and right cables to see if the issue follows the channel. It didn't. That, in my mind, eliminates the BeePre, the cables, and the tubes.
Here's what I plan to try next:

* Once the BeePre tubes cool I plan to swap them. I anticipate this will not be the issue. (BeePre tube issue)
* Swap the crossover boards to see if the problem follows the board. (passive crossover issue)

oguinn:
Swapped the crossover boards. Initially no change: distortion and weak output from the right channel. However, after a few seconds the sound kicked in fully without distortion.

This to me sounds like a loose connection inside the cabinet, which sucks since that means I have a new project. I'll wait until it acts up again.

Paul Birkeland:
When I have run into this with my Jagers, it has always been a loose banana plug (a loose set screw, not the connector itself).

oguinn:
I'm satisfied by that explanation for now. Saves me from light surgery.

Thanks, Paul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version