Is Seduction the Answer?

KenCalgary · 10237

Offline KenCalgary

on: January 27, 2010, 07:19:18 AM
I am fairly new to higher-end audio, and have limited knowledge of tubes, but am enjoying the music from my system. It isn't a high end system (I'm on a retiree budget) as I'm using a Parasound preamp (2100) and amplifier (2250) though I've just upgraded my speakers. The speakers are Zaph Audio's ZRT 2-way kit from Madisound using Scan Speak drivers but are not yet fully incorporated into the system (I just finished them). I've started to enjoy vinyl which, at the moment, is linked through the phono stage of the Parasound preamp. I'm told that this phono stage is good, being similar to their Zphono unit.

I've also been advised that while my current phono stage is OK I can achieve much better sound by upgrading to a better phono stage. The Seduction fits my budget so I have a few questions, if I may?

- While I "think" I'm comfortable with DIY, I have fairly limited experience with electronics. Would the Seduction be difficult to build?

- What would I gain (soundwise) by shifting from the phono stage of the Parasound to the Seduction? That is, would there be a significant improvement even though other parts of the system stay the same (at least for the time being)?

- Would the "benefits" of having a tube phono stage be lost when the signal passes through a solid state preamp and amplifier?

Thanks for any help/insights you can shed on these questions.   

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:15 AM
Ken,

Welcome to retirement.  I'm in the same boat.  I don't buy unless I'm doing contract work.

The Seduction was my first Bottlehead kit.  Not my first kit.  And it is well laid out and easy to assemble for old folks like us.

Tubed stages like the Seduction can add quite a bit to the sound of a system.  And I find it nostalgic.  That isn't to say that the sound isn't top notch, it is!  The midrange is excellent, present, the highs are clean and very detailed, the bass is firm and well detailed.  You will probably find it more "lifelike" than the Parasound, but I have not compared the two.  I can't say for sure.

The Eros is going to be my next kit.  I bought the Seduction on the day it was put up for sale.  I want the upgrade.

I would say try it.  You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:30:13 AM by Grainger49 »