Jethro Tull -Aqualung

Natural Sound · 2913

Offline Natural Sound

on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:40 PM
I recently took advantage of a discount code from one of the popular Hi Res websites. Picked up Jethro Tull, Aqualung Mixed And Mastered By Steven Wilson 24/96. I've always loved this album on vinyl. The CD versions were always a bit thin. The Steve Wilson version is very, very close to my vinyl reference. Especially when played on my Bottlehead DAC.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:04:04 PM
I am a huge fan of all things Steven Wilson.  Jethro Tull as well.  Thanks for the tip. I should check this out.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline murray

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:49:26 PM
I had the Steven Wilson remixed Aqualung CD from a couple of years ago and, while it is very good and clear and an improvement over prior murky sounding editions, it was later revealed that the sound was compromised at the final mastering stage by another party.  Recently Steven Wilson announced that his original remix "flat transfer" (i.e. un-molested) was available for high-res digital download only. The current CD on the market is still unchanged. With some hesitation (after already having bought this album at least 4 times since 1976) I opened an account and made my first ever digital down load. It Is in 24-bit FLAC files, which I had to downsample to 48k for my Squeezebox. I can say that it really is a lot better. It retains the clarity of the Steven Wilson remix, with all the "murk" washed away, but is altogether more open and natural, if that makes any sense. It seems that it much less compressed and probably has a more balanced EQ. I don't usually notice massive difference with these remixes and remasters, but for an old, dear favourite this digital download is the only one I will be listening to now. (p.s. I no longer have any vinyl).

From Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook page ... https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/posts/1666823980216407

Murray S. (N.Z.)

Offline Yoder

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:37:58 PM
Ugh...I just purchased a remastered version of Aqualung and then read your post. I was a little upset until I went to the link that you provided. In a February post, Wilson states: "...all the remixes are now presented as they left my studio, with no additional mastering." Knowing that, then I can say (knowing that there is not a better sounding mix out there) that it is an incredibly sounding set. I will be glad when my favorite Tull album, "Stand Up" comes out.

Offline Yoder

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:00:03 AM
Just read that a Wilson remastering of "Stand Up" is supposed to be out in Nov 2016...vinyl, SACD, CD,...

Offline murray

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 01:28:17 PM
Just read that a Wilson remastering of "Stand Up" is supposed to be out in Nov 2016...vinyl, SACD, CD,...

I already have a pre-order in for that. Bear in mind that this series are all limited editions.
This current series of Steven Wilson remixed Jethro Tull in the multi-disk book format are all worth getting.
There are plenty of bonus tracks and the quality is very good. The book and packaging are good, too.
By the way, they are not SACD, but rather DVD with high-res LPCM (both stereo and 5.1).
https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/7924/

Murray S. (N.Z.)

Offline Yoder

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:01:32 PM
Yup, so it is DVD and not SACD. Still looking forward to getting it.