Paramour I Power Supply Resistor /Choke

leonlicer · 6915

Offline leonlicer

on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
Hi everybody,

it has been years since my last writing. I was just listening to the music and not thinking on electronic. I have a pair of Paramours I. At home I have found a pair of toroidal chokes 20 H,  115 Ohm I have no data for mA. I wonder If I could use them as a replacement for a power supply resistor. To have the right voltage on B6 I would need to replace one or both 499 ohm resistors on CS4 with higher value.
Since I am not an electronic guy I am asking you guys would it work that way or not? If yes which resistors should I use?

thanks in advance,
Leon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:12:08 AM
Leon,

Edit: Ok, I got it now.  You want to put a plate choke in the power supply.  Not knowing the current might be a problem.  If you can find out or know the wire size of the windings that would help.
I don't think a change in voltage will necessitate changing the R1 value.  That is the "current setting" resistor.

I, too, have Paramour 1s.  I have upgraded the iron with MQ output and plate choke.  The stock plate choke went between the two 47uF caps in the power supply replacing the resistor there.  The DC resistance of the stock plate choke was less than the resistor it replaced.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:16:16 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline leonlicer

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:38:57 PM
Thank you for your reply. Actually I think the old choke DC resistance is 270 Ohm which is the same as the power supply resistor. The voltage on B6 should be 155 - 200 V.  I read the voltage higher than 200 V is not good.
I dont know if lower DC resistance in power supply influences only on the B6 voltage or  is there also something else??
I guess I can regulate the B6 voltage with the resistor on CS4 or is there some other way. Excuse my ignorance but I am a Furniture guy not beiing very strong in electronics.

I have not seen anybody using a toroidal choke in Paramour. Why is that? more expensive?, not good?...

Leon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:27:37 AM
If your Paramour worked, and had the right voltage to start with you shouldn't get higher after the swap.  Well, maybe a few volts.

Is it possible that the two tubes are not conducting properly?  What is the... calling up my schematic... what is the voltage on pins 8 and 6 of the 12AT7 and pins 1 or 4 and 2 of the 2A3?  This will say if the tubes are conducting as expected.  

To answer your question, yes increasing the resistance in the power supply wastes a little more voltage as lowering the value increases the voltage going to the driver/C4S and the output tube.  The C4S will handle the increase without sending it to the driver tube.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:27:45 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline leonlicer

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:19:51 AM
The B8 voltage is 1.9 and B6 198 V. For A1 and A4 I think is 58.6  (it should be 60 right?) A2 not sure (writing in bed to lazy to stand up and check).
I will try to change the resistor (270 ohm) with  the choke  115 ohm. Nothing lethal can happen ? 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:57 PM
The voltages on the driver are fine.  That tube is working well.  The same goes for the 2A3.  Voltages within 15% are considered good. 

The 270 ohm resistance is not critical.  If the current capability is exceeded the magic smoke comes out.  If that happens you want to put back the resistors.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline leonlicer

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
No smoke. It works though there is not a big difference. A little lower level of hum and a bit better bass, that,s all. need to try double iron version. The problem is that Speco is not producing the old (Yellow) version of output transformer. The new one (Blue) is a joke, also the tabs are not the same 1 W instead 1,25 and 0,5 W instead of 0,625.
Could somebody suggest an alternative (not Magnequest, I can not afford it).

thank you
Leon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:53 AM
Leon,

Do you need a Speco transformer as an upgrade?  I take it your Paramours didn't come with the Speco, right?  I have a pair of them that I took off of my Paramours when I upgraded.  They would be yours for the cost of shipping if that is what you are doing.

Grainger

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
Grainger, a long time ago I had suggested paralleling two Specos for each channel (with suitable changes to the taps). This gave them another half octave of bass power handling, and was very cost effective when the transformers were still available. I'm pretty sure that's what leonlicer is talking about.

It's still in the plans to offer the new SEX/Stereomour iron for upgrading SEX 2.0 kits; when that happens the same iron is suitable for use in Paramour I and II. I don't expect there will be a manual or anything, but the parts should become available at that time. But it won't be cheap; more on a par with the Magnequest iron than the Speco!

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:16:37 AM
Ok, so my offer is still good if he wants my pair.

Offline leonlicer

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:34 AM
Yes, that,s what I have in mind, to double the output transformer. If you mean it Grainger I will gladly take them. The shipping will be high because I live in Slovenia (EU) please check out the cost and let me know. Can I pay with PayPal ?

Thank you, Leon
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:01:31 PM by leonlicer »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:12 AM
Leon,

Yes, I'm serious.  I cut and pasted the address and PMd it to myself.  Now "Modify" your post to delete your address.  I am uncomfortable with personal information on the net.   Well, my real name is in my signature but I keep my address and email private.

I'll pack them and get the quote from the USPS. 

Offline leonlicer

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:21 PM
I just did it. Thank you.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 02:46:21 PM
Leon,

I finally found them today.  That is a tribute to how much S.... Stuff I have in my work room.  I'm  going to wrap them in bubble wrap and see what I can do about postage.

I'll be in touch.

Offline leonlicer

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00:37 PM
Thank you Grainger you are very kind. I read with two OPT everything is better. I can hardly wait to install them.
There is one more question about connection of the transformers. I plan to connect primaries (1,25 W tabs) in series and also 8 ohm secondaries in series (for 8 ohm speakers- Fostex FE206E) like Voltseconds suggested. Or is there a better way? Could you or somebody else comment on that??

Thank you, Leon