This is what it's all about

Doc B. · 1498

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: February 01, 2021, 07:56:49 AM
I love to find out our customers are into other DIY things too. If you've been on this forum any length of time you have seen the great Bottlehead gear built by Dr. Debra Koloms. Deb is a pretty amazing individual - opthalmologist, DIY audiophile, amateur rocket builder - and it turns out also an accomplished 3D printer operator. She sent us this totally cool Bottlehead logo curve faced nightlight complete with a nice warm incandescent bulb. Thanks Deb!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 08:26:37 AM
My pleasure.  I'm glad you like it!  Now no one will be scared to walk into the dark lab  :)

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:30:54 AM
That looks great!

Aaron Johnson

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:02 AM
Hi Debra, Sweet night light. I dig Bottlehead gear myself. I noticed a while back that you changed your avatar to a rocket and now I know why, Do you have a High Power cert? I used to be really into rockets from about 1972 to about 5 years ago. I have had a couple mid power rockets with dual deployment which I really liked. I am not certified to use anything larger than a G-64 motor. If you are interested I can give you a bunch of stuff that you may find useful. Send me a message if you are interested. Enjoy your BeePre 2.
Lee

Lee R.

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 11:57:08 AM
Yes, and she has a Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm to boot! I actually have been to Pete's "Garden of Earthly Delight" (as he calls it!) a couple of times. The first time was when I bought my woody tonearm and had him set it up on my turntable. He is a true audiophile and his sound system is beyond impressive. He is truly a delight! Here are a couple of pics of him and part of his system.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:59:49 AM by Tubegopher »

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 12:33:57 PM
Pete is an old friend. Super guy. I have yet to make it to the Garden, though Pete graciously invites me every year. Somewhere he has (or had) my old Beveridge System II.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 12:46:00 PM
I found a great video of one of Deb's rockets - stuff going fast in the desert, my cuppa tea.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 01:21:41 PM
O'O'h, N motor cert, Good Girl Luv you. 29-39 Thou is impressive.  My best was 3349 Ft with an aerotech arrouex with a G-64. Modified Aerotech Strong Arm with dual deploy 1430 Ft. As i said before I have some stuff to give away to you but you seem very much advanced and may find it boring. Un flown Modified Strong Arm set up for dual deploy with an altimeter and a bunch of mini centrifuge vials for deployment charges and a couple of larger chutes you could use as drogues on your larger rockets, let me know, it would be my pleasure.

Lee R.

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 01:24:42 PM
Doc, Remember speed kills. As well as Altitude.

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 01:37:55 PM
I remember. Both great B movies -

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 02:00:31 PM
The rocket in the video went 42,000 feet and a max velocity of mach 2.6.  That rocket was made of carbon fiber it was 4 inches in diameter and about 10 feet tall, I made the propellant myself.  It was flown in the Black Rock desert at the Tripoli Rocketry associations Balls launch.  Balls is the launch that the most extreme projects fly at, we have a few space shot attempts every year.

The question of if I am high power certified that was asked  .  I am level 3 certified.  Anyone interested check out www.tripoli.org.  More information on the Balls launch can be found at www.ballslaunch.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 02:05:59 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 02:20:03 PM
You all are going to convince old Doc B. to pick up another hobby...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline debk

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 02:27:09 PM
Haha, I'll help him if he wants.  The motorcycle racing is very cool.  If Covid allows I should be at Bonneville for a rocket launch at the end of Ju

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:10 PM
You can always combine tubes with rockets.  I've always wanted to fly a sputnik style transmitter in a rocket.  The rockets I fly now have fairly sophisticated avionics including GPS and down link telemetry.  The avionic also deploy the recovery systems

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Deke609

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 02:51:53 PM
I'm certain rockets are in Doc's future as he continues to move up and change categories. Within 5 years, he's doing this: