My Stereomour is now making music

Thoburn · 3944

Offline Thoburn

on: September 18, 2010, 10:45:38 AM
Just thought I would note that I finished my Stereomour and it is running as we speak (so to speak). It took me about 2 1/2 part-time days to build it. It passed all the test the first time through. Boy, that is the part you really sweat. I built mine using all the stock parts, but may upgrade caps and tubes down the road. First, I want to hear how it sounds as a baseline. It is not broken in yet, but so far I am very happy. There is no audible hum or hiss when nothing is playing, which is a big step up from my previous setup. The imaging is better as well. Thanks to all at Bottlehead for the great kit. It has been a blast and will continue to be I am sure.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:53:52 AM
Congratulations!!!  That is great to get it all "right" on the first pass....good to hear the sound is already pleasing.

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline shelby1420

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:33:27 AM
Just thought I would note that I finished my Stereomour and it is running as we speak (so to speak). It took me about 2 1/2 part-time days to build it. It passed all the test the first time through. Boy, that is the part you really sweat. I built mine using all the stock parts, but may upgrade caps and tubes down the road. First, I want to hear how it sounds as a baseline. It is not broken in yet, but so far I am very happy. There is no audible hum or hiss when nothing is playing, which is a big step up from my previous setup. The imaging is better as well. Thanks to all at Bottlehead for the great kit. It has been a blast and will continue to be I am sure.

Great news, what kind of efficiency are your speakers?

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Thoburn

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:17:22 PM
Thanks!

She has about 45 hours on the meter now and the sound has "opened up" and I think the bass is a little stronger.

My room is large. About 17 x 35 feet. For normal listening I set the volume control at about 9 - 10 o'clock.

My speakers are Lowther Medallion III which is a back loaded horn. The driver is a Lowther DX4. Lowther claims their efficiency is 99 Db. I built the cabinets myself using the plans from Jon Ver Halen at Lowther America.

There is enough room to put a down-firing subwoofer in the cabinet base. I have not done so yet. Jon recommends the Rythmic 12 inch. I don't yet know how to get the signal from the Stereomour to the plate amps yet. And, I may never add a subwoofer, but I wanted to have the option.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:16:54 AM
Wow!  That is a big room.  But the 99dBW should more than fill it.  I have about 14' X 23' and my Paramours and 94dBW speakers fill it louder than I care to listen.

Have you posted a picture of your Stereomour in the Gallery yet?  I think you might get to be the first.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:49:26 AM
I have not posted pictures yet. Sadly, I can't seem to find the 'gallery'. I tried attaching a picture, but it was to large (1.4 MByte). Anyway, I have not put a finish on the base yet as I couldn't wait to hear what she sounds like.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:43 AM
The gallery is the first folder under Bottlehead Kits.

I had to open some photo program and shrink my pictures to post them.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 03:38:52 PM
I was able to post some pictures to the gallery after shrinking them with ms paint.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:02 PM
Sweet! First pics of the latest version of my baby, the Paramour - my first design for Bottlehead!

Paul Joppa

Offline Thoburn

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 04:49:17 AM
My stock Stereomour has 70 hours on it now and it has really blossomed. What a gorgous sound! I wonder if upgrades are even worth it. Guess I won't know unless I try. I've ordered 4 Jupiter caps for the first upgrade. Brent Jessee has some Telefunken 12AT7 tubes, but he wants $100 each! Do you think they would be worth it?

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Thoburn

Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
Just thought I would note that I finished my Stereomour and it is running as we speak (so to speak).

Hi all,

Well, it is coming up on 4 years that I have been enjoying my Stereomour. What a fantastic amp. As posted elsewhere, the only upgrade I did was Jupiter Caps. They were worth it. Still in fine shape. Have not melted or even discolored. I think the stock tubes may be reaching 'end of life'. The left channel has gone fuzzy on me a couple of times. Not for long, but still a concern. The paint on "Made in Russia" on the left tube is almost gone. The right is still like new. I don't know how many hours are on the tubes, but I play the system a lot. I think I am going to try a pair of JJ 2A3 40. The wife says, "After my property taxes are paid", of course.  ;)

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600