HDMI Problem

STURMJ · 1317

Offline STURMJ

on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
I have a PC streaming video and audio. I recently noticed that the audio (when playing video) was only being fed to my receiver as 2 channels from the PC via HDMI, and then faked up to surround sound by the receiver.  I have figured out that if the TV is off, I can go into sound-(playback devices) and the receiver output is set at a max of 8 channels with Dolby and etc formats available. However, as soon as I bring the TV into the mix (turn it on) the receiver's output capacity (in windows control panel) reverts to only two channels. I suspect that since the TV only has two speakers the driver selector sets output to two channels even though it is titled still as my av receiver. I have made sure that surround sound is selected in the TVs menu, and have even turned off the speakers (again in the TVs menu) but no matter what windows sets the output for the receiver to two channels. I feel that I am just missing some little something and if anyone has any pointers i would appreciate it.  BTW I play music-audio from the same system but through a different chain (i.e. DAC into bottlehead gear)and that is working perfectly.

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:35:55 AM
I would use an optical output from the PC to the receiver if possible. Or you could stream though a Bluray player instead. The other option is the TV. What brand is it? They all do different things with audio output and some are definitely better than others for those features.

Jeremy Mauro

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:23:25 PM
I have a working solution, I had in my head that I needed to split the hdmi before the receiver, what worked was splitting it after the receiver. 
On the NUC the is no optical output, but every other combo I tried resulted in the audio switching back to 2.0ch. Frustrating, but all it took was to forget about it a while and going back later with a fresh mind.