Does it require to enlarge wood base for installing Dale 23 Step Attenuator?

audiblesoundwave · 11732

Offline audiblesoundwave

I remember some of you had installed this attenuator but there was no mention of requiring any wood base work for installing this 23 step attenuator!

Does anyone have any experience?  I attached the link to eBay for the attenuator!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270311271326&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks,
Milton

Offline dmannnnn

About three posts down is a picture of a S.E.X with the attenuator installed.  Looks like it (among other things) just fits.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,193.0.html

Harmon Kardon T60 - Hagerman Bugle - Cal Audio Labs CL15
ForePlayIII - Paramount 300B's
Klipsch RF-7/Altec Model 14/Magnepan MG12

Offline audiblesoundwave

Thanks!

I remember this picture!  Still not sure it requires any wood base work for the attenuator from the picture.

Hope someone will step up and let us know!

Milton

Offline Grainger49

Ask the seller for the depth of the works, not including the shaft length.  That will tell you if it fits.

Offline audiblesoundwave

I believe the length may not be the issue.  It is the width toward the edge of the wood base.  I like to find out do I need to file some wood away for getting the unit back into the wood base after the attenuator upgrade.

Thanks,
Milton

Offline dmannnnn

The depth is OK.  The diameter is close, depending on how far out the resistors extend.  I'm pretty sure it is Ok as is, but at worst you might have to chisel out a bit of the wall (I don't think so though).

Offline dmannnnn

Some sellers make these with the resistors mounted horizontally. Pretty sure these won't fit.  The vertical resistors should be OK.

Offline audiblesoundwave

I ordered one with the vertical installed resistors.  I will try and report back after I completed the upgrade.

Thanks everyone,
Milton

Offline BNAL

I have a very similar attenuator, and had to chisel out some of the base in order for it to fit. The one pictured looks like the resistors are closer to the switch and may fit without modifying the base.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Grainger49

I have a very similar attenuator, and had to chisel out some of the base in order for it to fit. The one pictured looks like the resistors are closer to the switch and may fit without modifying the base.

At a hardware store or HD you can find a 2" or 3" rotary wood rasp that attaches to a drill.  That would make quick work of removing a little from the base.

Offline audiblesoundwave

Hi everyone,

With the inputs and advises from the forum, I went ahead and upgraded to the new 23-step attenuator that I purchased on eBay from the stock one!

Here is the link for the attenuator.  It took about two week to arrive.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270311271326&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here is the result.  The hole for the shaft needs to enlarge just a bit in order to get this version of attenuator through.  Also, (here was my question that started this thread) the wood base needs to be chiseled out some.  I have not done it yet.  The top plate would not completely fit back into the base for now.  I will need to get the tool for chiseling out the base tomorrow and I don