Janis Ian great Audiophile album for peanuts

docbob52 · 1991

Offline docbob52

on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:29 PM
Ok guys,  Here is an audiophile grade vinyl album that the music and sonics will knock your socks off for dirt cheap.   Janis Ian " Between the Lines".  1975 from Columbia Records in 1975  PC33394  used at high end record stores in the mid 70s to demo equipment.

Sonics are almost as good as my best album, Patricia Barber-- Cafe Blue, but the music is much more enjoyable.

You ain't going to dance but you will pour you a glass of red wine and feel the chill bumps on your neck

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Lar

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:33:07 PM
I will have to check that one out. Seen Janis live back in 81 at the Sydney Opera House.

Larry V

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:18 AM
After seeing your post the other day I took a quick look on ebay and found the same Janis Ian LP locally for not much at all so thought I would give it try and wanted to say thank you, it is indeed a absolute corker.

I actually wasn't quiet prepared for the sound that came out of my old system or even thought for that matter it was capable of delivering such deliciousness, being rather more low fi than hifi. I played it again later in the evening this time using the Bottlehead Crack for amplification and listening with T1 headphones and it impressed for a second time.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline docbob52

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:22 AM
Glad you enjoyed it Jamie.  I am listening to Janis Ian "Aftertones" (Columbia X698) now on a record and it is recorded just as well if not better even though it is on a thinner album.  The music is more upbeat.  Actually I have never heard one of her albums that was not extremely well done, both in sonics and quality of the music. Most of her albums I have on cd and they are just as well done.  "Breaking Silence" is also a favorite. 

She reminds me of Joan Baez (e.g. Diamonds and Rust) in that it is close miked, sounds good at low volumes and like the performer is in the room with you.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
I got one this week, cleaned today and... This is an astounding album!  It is well recorded, I like the music.  I prefer the songs that were not on the radio to the ones I recognize, just a preference.  But those I know sound much better than my AM radio back in those days.

There is one thing odd about it.  This won't keep me from listening more and more but... the voice is in positive absolute phase and all the instrumentation is in reverse absolute phase.  The voice isn't bad with the instruments properly phased.  But if you invert both speaker leads the voice is more intimate.

Bob, Thanks for the heads up on this one!