Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Blowing Fuses

(1/8) > >>

Sawgolf4me:
Hello Folks!

First time builder. First time poster. I finished putting together my Kaiju over the weekend. Fired it up Sunday night and everything was working great. Over the next two days, I probably listened 10 hours and turned it on maybe 5 times.

Well I get home from work today and I turn it on and I blow a fuse after listening for 30 minutes. So, I go to the store and get new ones. Now it blows fuses right when i turn it on.

So, I flip it over to inspect what is going on and don't see anything different. I am guessing the problem lies somewhere in one of my solder joints? My best guess is that warming up and cooling down a couple times caused one (or more) of the solder joints to break down? Any pointers on maybe where to start to look?

Thanks for the help!
Steve

kgoss:
Go back through the resistance test again. That should identify the short blowing the fuse.
Are you sure you got the same value and fast or slow blow fuse that you had in the amp?

Sawgolf4me:
I just looked and I bought 2 amp fast acting fuses. I’ll make a trip to an electronics store. To be honest, until about an hour ago when I searched fuses on here I thought all fuses acted as fast as possible.

I did the ground buss check on page 40. They were all at most 0.5 ohm. Is there another resistance check than that one?

Thanks for the help.

Paul Birkeland:
Try a 3A fast blo fuse if that's all you can get.  Buy 5-10 of them, as there are a bunch of checks that can be done to figure out where in the circuit the issue is.

The first test is to pull all the tubes, then see if the amp fires up.  Let us know how that test goes.

You can also consider taking some build photos and posting them here, as we may be able to see something.

Also do be sure that the center lug of each hum pot isn't touching the chassis.

-PB

Sawgolf4me:
I'm back in business! I found 1.6 amp time delay fuses. However, I'm still not sure what caused the fuse to go in the first place?

I ordered a BeePree, but it hasn't shipped yet. So I am listening from my MacBook Air straight to the Kaiju. I had some Jay-Z going at a pretty good volume. I'd bet the Kaiju around 80% volume. Can the fuse blow if you are listening too loud or pushing it too much?

Here are the checks I did today before I turned it back on.
1) I went through the Ground Buss check and everything measured 0.5 ohms or less.
2) Checked the rectifiers to make sure they were functioning and oriented correctly.
3) I visually checked that the center lug of each hum pot wasn't touching the chassis. I then did a continuity check and I got a buzz for a split second and then it went open line. Then I did a resistance measurement and they both measured almost exactly 1.00 kilo-ohm. Is that correct?
4) Then I turned it on without the tubes and it worked.
5) Then I put the tubes in and turned it on. Everything worked.
6) Then I did a music test and everything worked.

Pictures attached.

Thanks for the help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version