1st time DIYer - tales of my build - questions in 1st post

wullymc · 21556

Offline wullymc

Hello everyone,

I am about to make the dive and buy a Crack kit.

MY experience with a soldering iron:  I used one to solder new pickups into my guitar about 15 years ago.  That's it.

What I currently have done to prepare:
   - Watch PACEworldwide Basic soldering videos on youtube.
   - ordered a simple CMOY kit to practice with (still of yet to come)
   - looked at the sample Crack build pages

This will be a test for me.  I am the type of person that can get frustrated, so I am planning a slow build.  Probably looking at a month maybe more?  I will feel really good if I can get this to work.

I have a few questions for you experienced bunch:
 - how many pages is the manual?  I am looking at maybe trying for 2 pages per day.

- I am confused about solder.  I have read that Hardware stores/Radio Shack(The Source in Canada) don't sell good solder.  I have also read that you should use 60/40 .032" lead with rosin.  Would this be good solder:  MG Chemicals 60/40 Rosin Core .032"  ?

- I am also in need of wire stripers - I am looking at Klien.  I am confused for the numbers should I get 10-20, 10-18, or 16-26 AWG?

In starting this thread I am planning on documenting my build process in hopes to help any 1st time people with getting over the fear and hopefully help Bottlehead sell more kits to first timers!

If anyone has some helpful hints to pass along please throw them my way! :)

Thanks....Dave

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:04:45 PM by wullymc »

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:40:15 PM
Dave,

Welcome!  

Here is a link to a list of all kinds of tools:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,173.0.html

If you didn't burn the insulation off the wires to your guitar pickup you will do fine.  I understand the getting frustrated thing.  Four pages a night won't tax you, there are a LOT of pictures that are a great help!  The instructions are less than 40 pages long, there is a lot of other information in the manual.

Radio Shack has good solder, I have used it a number of times myself.  Just don't get solder with silver in it.  Silver bearing solder is harder to get good solder joints.

So press the purchase button.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:56:32 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline mchurch

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:17 PM
Hi;

My experience is that not much good comes from the Source, at least here in Ottawa. If you can find Kester 60/40 resin core solder you will be doing fine. Here in Ottawa I got mine from good old Canadian Tire but you can also check Home Depot, Rona. You just have to watch out for the store brand products, not so much for the mix of solder i.e. 60/40 or others, but many store brands are manufactured with raw materials that are not as pure as they could be owning to the passion for recycling. Lead is getting to be rare because it is considered a hazardous substance. It is is quite often supplemented with antimony. I also find that shopping on the internet has been quite useful as well. In general stay away from exotic solders like some of the silver bearing ones until you get some experience under your belt. If you are going to by wire strippers start with the 16-26 AWG it is the best start for the BH kits.

Also do you know the temperature of your soldering iron because that also is important to good soldering.

I am sure you will find others here who will offer good advice as well. I think you will find the experience both fun and rewarding and it will be your own creation. Since I started with the BH kits I have never looked back and it would take a lot for me to buy ready made products again.

Best of luck with your build.

Mike

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:05:06 PM
Dave, I consider myself a pretty slow builder.  My opinion is that the more experience you have, the slower you will tend to go.  Even a snails pace will get a Crack up and running in a weekend, so there is no need to rush, just take your time and enjoy each step. 

Troubleshooting a problem can add days or weeks to your build if something gets burned up in the process.  The whole Bottlehead staff is super patient and helpful and they will get you the parts you need to fix and replace but the downside is that you have to wait on the mail, or UPS or hope that the Rat-Shack will have that resistor or capacitor you need. 

My recommendation is to avoid all of that and just relax and enjoy each little step of the build.  It sounds like you have the right idea.  Be a pro, take it slow.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:09 PM
Hey Dave - I'm a pretty green DIY'er, but I have tried some kits from different sellers. Bottlehead is fantastic in their documentation. Go over the directions well. Take it real slow, and understand what everything looks like and get a feel for the layout before you start. Once you get a bit of a 'handle' on the project it doesnt seem so overwhelming. As far as soldering, use the solder to transfer the heat. The solder joint goes real quick if the heat is transferred using the solder. The quicker the solder the cooler the part. It should take about 1-2 sec. Just like in the videos. If you fry a part, no biggie, you can get another one. Cheap stuff. Overall have fun!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline BNAL

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:11:20 PM
Dave,

My first kit was a bottlehead S.E.X. amp. Like you I was not sure what to do, but unlike you I never soldered anything. I took my time read the instructions. That are easy to follow and if you are not sure about something just post a question on the forum and someone will quickly answer your question, as you can see by the posts you have already received. The crack is a great sounding amp that I fell is easier to build then the S.E.X. 2.0 that I built. You will not regret it.

Now I feel like a drug adick pushing my addiction on someone else.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:01:32 AM
One more suggestion.  Check the Crack file here to read the Crack Assembly Manual Corrections.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:10:29 AM
Just to add something, and it is in the suggested tools link ... get an adjustable temperature solder station rather than a stand-alone iron.   There are some expensive ones that are really great but you dont have to go that route, and I wouldnt spend the money unless you DIY all the time.  The Weller WLC100 is, or atleast was, probably the most popular adjustable temp. station.  Of course, and iron will work but the adjustable temperature offered by a station can be a big plus.  In addition, the irons are generally better quality and they can be replaced as well as allowing the option of using different size and shape tips.

As far as solder goes, I would avoid the lead free solders and, as mentioned, the silvers eventhough there are some 2% silvers that flow pretty easily.   A 60/40 Rosin core is a good choice, even Radio Shack brand is fine.  Or the Kester 44 is a great choice and my favorite non silver solder.   I dont think you can buy the Kester in anything less than a 1 lb. spool though, so maybe not a good choice if you arent going to do a lot of soldering in the future.  One of the small containers of 60/40 from Rat Shack should be easily more than enough for the Crack build.   Im not an circuit expert like a lot of these guys but Im pretty decent with a soldering iron.  You'll be fine, the Crack is a pretty easy kit to build.

For the stations, just some possible suggestions:

I've had this one for over 12 years and never a single problem but I think it was $50 or so at the time ...  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-147-/21-147

This ones at a nice price and should work fine.  It's pretty much a copy of the entry level Weller ...  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-7945-/21-7945

Here's the Weller ...  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-3475

Desmond G.

Offline wullymc

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:13:10 PM
Thanks guys for welcome, suggestions, and support.

I have gotten a soldering iron with variable control.   it is:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8103590/Soldering-Irons-%26-Torches/Soldering-Iron-with-Adjustable-Control

and a DMM:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/0700249/Multimeters/Digital-Multimeter

Next I will pick up the wire strippers.

...stay tuned!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline mchurch

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:33:38 PM
Dave;

Where are you located? I am in Ottawa and it would be nice to communicate with another BH member locally. i.e. North of the 49th.

Cheers;

Mike

Offline wullymc

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:53 PM
Hey Mike,

Actually, I'm in Stittsville!  So nice and close.  It would be great to talk....I was happy to hear that you live in Ottawa....perhaps I can bug you if I get stuck ;) 

What BH kits have you done?  What is your set up currently?

I just got back from Homedepot.  I got the Klein 16-26AWG wire stripper.  I am getting ready.....just need to order.

Dave

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline hasafraker

• Hasafraker Blog
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:27 PM
Currently I have 2 adjustable soldering stations, this is my current one and worth EVERY PENNY! http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-200

this was my first station and it works just fine but temp control wasn't as good as the more expensive one but it could get the job done. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100

I'm a big fan of Parts Express, they are in Ohio so shipping to me is always snappy.

When I built my Crack I am seriously amazed at the level of patience I was able to exercise... I spent about 4 days I think, setting up, prepping everything and taking my time. My amp worked the first time I fired it up with no issues. I totally agree with Grainger49, read the list of corrections, and read the manual once through and if there is anything you are not sure about, ask questions these guys LOVE to help!

I use the Radio Shack silver bearing solder and have no problems with it whatsoever. It is 2% silver, some of the higher silver content stuff I've come across is harder to use, 3% and 4% cause me problems and grief, the 2% stuff works like a champ, I normally watch and will catch it on sale occasionally and buy 4 spools of it.

Take your time, enjoy your build :) you're going to love this amp.

as long as it sounds good, who cares?

Main system; AT-LP120-USB Turntable w/AT440MLa, Bottlehead Reduction Phono, Decware ZSP1 Preamp, Pass Labs ACA Monoblocks, PSB Alpha B1's, MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub. Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Interconnects and stands all DIY.

Offline mchurch

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:52 PM
Dave;

I thought you were close just by the mention of Princess Auto. I am actually in Westboro near the Ottawa River Pkwy. Currently I have built the Foreplay 111 with the Extended Upgrade, Seduction Phono, and the Paramount Mono Blocs. My next project will be either the Smack or Crack followed by another pair of Paramounts as I want to bi-amp.

Currently I am running the above plus a pair of ASW Cantius 404 Speakers rated at 91db which seem to work just fine with the 300B tubes along with a modified Kenwood KD 600 D turntable and Ortofon 2M Black which works great with the Seduction. The other gear is an TEAC X1000R reel to reel and an old Magnum Dynalab FT11 tuner. I am five floors up facing Camp Fortune so the FM is great.

This year I plan to upgrade to a better Reel to Reel and get into the Tape Project.

This is great fun and I welcome the opportunity  to get together sometime. And by all means if you need any help I will be more than happy to.

Cheers;

Mike

Offline wullymc

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 03:03:30 PM
Hey Mike,

It's great to have a seasoned pro in the DYI nearby.  It would be nice to get together sometime and discuss the projects/music.  Sounds like you have quite the set up!  I will be in touch when I order.  Should be over the next few weeks....hopefully sooner than later.  I just want to get the CMOY and complete it for practice.

Take care...Dave

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline SteveH

Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 03:17:07 PM
Mike and Dave

Not to derail the intent of the original post, but I'm half-way between you!  (Kanata).  Would love to hear/see the kits.  I'm still in that 'not enough time due to kids activities and my job to build a kit" phase, but soon, real soon!

SteveH