Jeb's Build

Jeb Jeb · 17729

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 05:39:54 PM
We did switch earlier this year to a different RCA jack because of some weirdness to the threads in the jacks we were using.  Assuming you have these jacks, you can replace them with any insulated RCA jack that fits a 3/8" hole.

The new jacks that we use require the hole to be enlarged just slightly.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 10:01:42 PM
Thanks Paul,

I bought a cheap replacement jack - I don't like it as much as the kit supplied one - but the nut is much better and it fits the original jack perfectly.  So I'm all good

any comments on the pic of the transformer I posted before and the light sanding I gave it ? do I need to paint it eventually?

Cheers!

Jeb.

James Barker,
UK

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 03:52:32 AM
If You have scrubbed down the transformer bell and sanded the coating, You should definitely paint with something that withstands heat. Preferably before soldering for easier access.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:10 AM
Hi there Strikkflypilot,

I have cleaned and sanded the bell & that has been protected with a couple of coats of clear-coat, it was the sides of the transformer itself I was wondering about, since I rubbed them just slightly to remove the slightly unsightly runs of varnish or glue or whatever it is holding everything together.  I think I could quite easily do that with it in situ if need be at some point - but I won't unless anyone thinks its necessary, because in terms of how it looks it seems fine.

Cheers!

Jeb.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:05:15 AM by Jeb Jeb »

James Barker,
UK

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:40 AM
The initial "smoke test" will tell.  Seriously, looking at your picture you should be just fine.  It looks like you were careful not to disturb the laminations that were not drooled on.

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 06:35:14 AM
Thanks Grainger - you've been really helpful!

Remind me to buy you a drink or two next time you're in Bristol, UK.

James Barker,
UK

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 06:43:16 AM
You are most welcome.  Now I have to find Bristol.  An older Bottlehead, Gaspode, lives in Windsor.  I found that, once.

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:24 AM
Just make your way up the little channel to the south of Wales.  Keep sailing until you hit Bristol.  You cant miss it. 

If you end up in Paris you've taken a wrong turn.

James Barker,
UK

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 11:41:27 AM
it was the sides of the transformer itself I was wondering about, since I rubbed them just slightly to remove the slightly unsightly runs of varnish or glue or whatever it is holding everything together.

We don't generally recommend messing with the lamination stack on the transformer, as that goop is indeed what holds it together.  As long as there is no exposed metal, you can leave it as-is.  If there is exposed metal, you would want to apply more varnish.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 12:14:29 PM
Paul - thanks - damn on one side I can see a bit of exposed metal - only just, but some and can no longer see that shiny varnish surface. I guess I would rather be safe now than sorry and run into problems later.

Do you mean just any general purpose varnish? And would some black metal paint also do the same job?

James Barker,
UK

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 12:52:31 PM
PJ might have specific recommendations, but I'd just buy the smallest container of varnish that you can find at the hardware store, then brush it on with a small brush.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:25 PM
Nice one - will do.  Much appreciated. Have a great weekend!

James Barker,
UK

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 05:47:22 PM
Cosmetically, any exposed iron will eventually rust. Technically, as long as there is no short between adjacent laminations it's good.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jeb Jeb

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 05:28:54 AM
Cool -thanks again! since there was some metal exposed I put a thin layer of varnish around the stacks to prevent rust.  When I came back later I could see lots of tiny brownish patches (pic) - I hope that it's just bits of the old brownish varnish, rather than rust spots that formed with the addition of the varnish, if that's possible?.  In any case there's not too much I can do about it now.  The lesson - don't mess with the transformer stacks!  You guys said that.   ;)

I've begun the main build - and really enjoying it - about half-way through now.  So far so good .... I think!!  Proof will be in the pudding as they say.

on a couple of the first solder joints I made (on the IEC module and the transformer terminals) the insulation of the wire was touching the terminal so melted a little bit - apart from that the joint looks good and shiny and secure.  I've improved a lot with subsequent joints, always leaving a mm or two of bare wire but should I re-do those first ones or does it not matter if the insulation was touching?.  I've tried to take a pic of the first one I did.

Cheers! 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:13:34 AM by Jeb Jeb »

James Barker,
UK

Offline adydula

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 04:56:01 AM
Hey...I don't think your lightly sanding down the outsides of the transformer will hurt anything....all the best on your build! I would lightly varnish them as well as the rest of the experts stated....

Alex
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:58:54 AM by adydula »