Thinking of installing a Goldpoint Attenuator

Colonl_Charisma · 486

Offline Colonl_Charisma

on: March 26, 2021, 10:37:51 AM
I've been considering swapping my PEC pot with a Goldpoint attenuator, and I would purchase a "blank" 100K version because I would like the experience of populating it with resistors. I have seen that I can use 1/4 W resistors, and I saw in a past post that Doc recommended populating with Dale resistors.

What other specs on the resistors should I pay attention to (e.g. Resistance, Voltage Rating, etc.)?

As always, I appreciate the help!

Ross

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:13 AM
For An attenuator you can use 1/8w resistors. Smaller and less cramped.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:53:18 AM
Dale RN55 is listed at 1/10w and some times 1/8w.

Lee R.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:46 AM
Dale RN55 are fine.  The RN series are all de rated being mil spec vs the Industrial CMF range.  A RN55 is 1/8w vs a CMF55 which is 1/2w, yet both are physically identical in size.

They are also rated by tolerance, 1% being the norm, but .5% and .1% are also available at a higher cost.   Personally i would buy a bunch of 1% for the same cost and measure them myself, but 1% tolerance is perfectly fine for a volume control, you will never hear the difference.  Finally there is a temperature coefficient, 25ppm, 50ppm, 100ppm, the lower the better, but again irrelevant for a volume control so just stick to the basic 100 or 50.

Finally, what resistance values to use.  Goldpoint have charts on their website which are a good starting point https://www.goldpt.com/r_series.html   ..don't forget to double up when ordering as you have a left and right channel to build.

I have built a few vintage Goldpoint stepped ladder attenuators that have 96 resistors on them, the novelty wore off fairly quickly ;)

M.McCandless

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 03:12:23 PM
Thanks mcandmar and Thermioniclife! You all gave me the information I needed.

Ross