Headphone and DAC recomendations for Crack

mSummers · 5690

Offline mSummers

on: April 02, 2013, 07:25:07 AM
I'm going to build a Crack for my office later this year as a present to myself after I complete my Architecture Registration Exams.  In the meantime, I'm trying to decide what headphones and DAC would pair well with it.  I prefer a well balanced sound and don't want anything where the bass overpowers everything.

Since my firm doesn't have any offices, I'm looking at closed headphones.  I saw that the Beyer DT770 is a good match.  Are there any others?

Also, what would be a good DAC to pair with the amp?  I saw several people are using the HRT Music Streamer II.  Is that a good match at that price point, or are there others that are better?

Thanks!

- Michael

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:49:04 AM
My current primary DAC cost over $1,000. It uses a relatively rare, and quite expensive, DAC chip that has been used in lots of the best and most time-tested DACs. It is a DAC that has been well-received by reviewers and I quite like it.

I have several other DACs that cost around $500 when new.

That said, I am unconvinced I could tell the difference between any of those DACs and any of the following:
1. The built-in DAC in my Pure i-20 ipod dock ($~99 new)
2. My JDS Labs ODAC ($149, new)
3. The much maligned (I actually quite liked mine) NuForce uDAC-2 ($125, new)
4. The DAC section of my Leckerton Audio UHA-6S Mk II
5. Just about any other DAC that has a decent output signal strength

I'm serious. In a double-blind test, I am convinced that just about all DACs that cost more than, say, $100, will be indistinguishable. The only thing that is a bigger waste of money than expensive DACs is expensive cables.

My advice: save your money and put it toward either a Speedball for your Crack, or better headphones.

As for my advice on headphones, I have found the best matches to be Sennheiser HD800s, HD600s and ... a pair of vintage AKG K240 monitors (different from the current K240s). The Senns obviously aren't closed-back, and the AKG might as well be open when it comes to sound isolation.

You could go for a pair of high impedance DT770s (although I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the stock DT770s), or I also have a pair of German Maestro GMP 8.300D (300 Ohm, closed back headphones) that I'm not using. Send me a private message if you're interested. I've looked around for high-impedance, closed-back headphones, and there aren't a lot of options....

Best,
Adam

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:53 AM
For computer listening, anything is better than the stock headphone output. I've got the Schiit Modi, a $99 USB dac feeding my SEX amp and a pair of HD600's. It's great for filtering out computer noise and has a higher output than the headphone jack in most cases.

A question about going closed back; Are trying to keep your music from bothering others or are you trying to block out everyone else?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline mSummers

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:23:28 AM
Thanks for the replies I'll look into those options and I'm definitely going to order the speedball when I order the amp.  Adam, I appreciate the offer on the Maestros, but I'm not looking to buy anything yet.  I need to pass the exams and get my refund check from my employer first.

Max, regarding your question, I'd say that its a little of both.  I don't want to bother anyone else and I'd like to be able to block everyone else out when they're on the phone or having a discussion on projects I'm not working on.

- Michael

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:56 AM
I would second the Schiit Modi. Go from there. For a hundred pops you cant go wrong. The field is evolving quickly. I wouldnt bite on big bux kit at this stage until it sifts out a bit more. All the big bux guys realize they need to feed the desire for low cost/high quality DACs. Even the overnight sensation Schiit realized they needed to go cheaper before they went more expensive (first Bifrost, then Gungnir, then Modi) - no sign of their $2k DAC. - cheers

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:50 AM
The only thing I would add is that you should consider whether a USB-only DAC is the right move. I started out listening to music at my desk with my computer, but now I never do, and having coaxial and/or optical input options has been very useful.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:19 PM
That is an excellent point. I'm ok with being limited to USB only as I don't have any other digital sources besides my computer. Coaxial and optical outputs are common on most desktop style computers nowadays, especially high-zoot ones that can run architecture models and rendering.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:50:19 PM by Maxwell_E »

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline mikek200

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:32:08 AM
One more option is,using the buy/sell forum at head-fi.com
www.head-fi.com
I recently picked up a used bifrost dac from Steve from Q-Audio,at a price,,so low,it was like a gift.
75% of my audio gear ,came from this buy/sell forum.,with the exception of the Crack/Speedball amp..
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Offline mSummers

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:00:49 AM
Thanks again for all the advice. 

I'll definitely take a look at the Modi.  I just checked my office computer and I don't have any digital outputs.  Since it's less than a year old, I'll be fine with USB for several years.  I don't foresee getting any other digital sources for my office setup since my desk space is limited and usually covered in construction drawings.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the buy/sell forum.  I'll keep an eye out there for good deals.

- Michael