Need advice on tapping terminal thread

rdonahue · 668

Offline rdonahue

on: November 17, 2016, 04:55:03 PM
I am assembling my first kit, a Crack. I have gotten to the point where I am putting the bell end on the transformer and the screws aren't threading through the terminal strips. I tried to follow tapping the terminal holes w/ the self-tapping screw but I wasn't able to get much, if any, of the screw through the hole without bending the terminal tab. I know this is very much a Step 1 issue; I feel a bit silly asking but I figured I'd ask before I break something on accident.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:23:09 PM
Try turning the screw just a little bit and then backing off. Turn a little more, back off, etc. Or, you can hold the tab of the t-strip flat against a block of scrap wood and drill it carefully with drill press, using a bit only slightly bigger than the hole. You can do it with a hand drill too, but quite often the drill bit grabs the terminal and spins it out of the pliers or whatever you are using to hold it, resulting in a bent or busted strip.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rdonahue

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:29:33 PM
Sounds good. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:30 AM
Get a set of pliers that are large enough to hold the metal tab of the terminal strip securely.  If said pliers have grooves in the jaw, this is even better. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
I had the exact same issue. I tried the techniques mentioned but got nowhere. I feared I would mangle the strip if I persisted.

I then took a small round tapered metal file and filed the inside of each hole  a little bit, figuring it would deburr  the hole and enlarge it slightly.

This did the trick and it then worked just like the directions said it would

Hope this helps someone.

Btw, I have always said that a person can do almost anything if the directions given are good enough. That's certainly true of this kit. What a joy to build!