Chicago 1 and 2

rockpassion · 2529

Offline rockpassion

on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:12 PM
The first two Chicago albums were some of my favorite LP's in hi-school.  This is way before I had ever heard a good system.  Now that I have what I think is a good system I have some questions here amongst the audiophile community. 

I am using LP's from that era.  Both were manufactured in the late 60's early 70's.  What I hear is very good sound stage but it seems the music is veiled, not real sharp, and compressed.  Does anyone else find this or am I just imagining things.  I vaguely remember someone on a forum a long time ago mentioned how compressed the music is on these albums.

My system consists of VPI MkIV with a Rega RB250 (heavily modified), Shelter mkII, Cinemag SUT, Eros Phone Preamp, BeePre Preamp, and a pair of Dynaco MKIII with all the Curcio mods, speakers are DIY Watt Puppy type configuration.  It really sounds great on almost everything, great sound stage, very clear, and wonderful bass. 

I really like these two albums and wonder if there are better alternatives.

I look forward to everyone's or anyone's comments.

Regards

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:17 PM
I'll have to check this out tomorrow afternoon.  I'm working for HFH in the morning.  I have both vinyl and CD versions of both albums.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:43 AM
I'm sorry this took so long. 

I no longer have my original pressing of CTA.  It was given away long ago in this thread.  But I have the MOFI pressing of it.  And it is clear.  The soundstage is pretty flat.  Not exactly pancake flat, but very close. 

The sound is very clear.

I have a family affair this evening and I have put out Chicago II to check tomorrow.

I hope this helps.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
Today, after cleaning LPs for 2 and a half hours, I put on my wife's OP of Chicago II (side 2).  It is dirty (not in the cleaning routine today), finger prints and hand prints on it. 

It sounds like my MOFI pressing of the first album except that the immediate reaction is that the bass is more articulate.  The bass lines are clearer.  The soundstage took a foot and a half step backward from the MOFI pressing of the first album.  The drums, keyboard voices and bass are all clear.  The horns are somewhat muted but not muffled, not in the back of the soundstage.  Just not nearly as clear as the others already mentioned.

I think I will give it a cleaning.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:49:56 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline rockpassion

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:15:36 PM
Grainger,

Thanks for the update.  I switched amps from a Quicksilver using KT77's to my recently repaired Dynaco MKIII with KT88's.  The difference is quite dramatic.  The amp change really opened up the sound and clarity quite a bit. 

I agree that the first Chicago album the bass is much punchier than the second.  I also agree that the soundstage is very flat.  Wide but not a lot of depth.  Like you, I also find the horns to be somewhat muted in both albums.  I did find that the first album, CTA, is, I think, better recorded.  Even though I find the music somewhat compressed on album 2 I still really really enjoy all the music.  It does sound a lot better on a good system, at least I think my system is pretty good, then it did back in high school.  I did find that the detail is much more refined and I am hearing things I never heard back then. 

I appreciate your feedback on this.  It does confirm my opinion of my albums. 

Thanks

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Reap

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
I have the first CTA double LP and to be honest it's one of mt best sounding albums. Very good soundstage and very articulate. I'm using the Paramounts with 300Bs and the needle is a Shure M25C.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:14 PM
Reap,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have changed my amps back to my Dynaco MKIII since I wrote the review.  They have made a huge difference.  While my Chicago I & II are definitely better sounding with this combination they still do not sound as good as other Classic Rock albums.  Especially, ELP, ELO and Boston.  Having said that I also believe that my speakers do not do as well with rock as they do with Jazz and Vocalists. 

Regards

Richard

Richard Vince

Offline Reap

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:35:05 AM
Interesting. You music tastes sound about identical to mine. The 300B amp is the only tube amp I've ever owned and I don't think I would change it. It performs well with the Klipsch KG 5.5s.