Tijuana Brass and Herb Alpert

rockpassion · 1766

Offline rockpassion

on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:25 PM
Hello All,

Over the last couple of weeks I have been listening to Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass.  i picked up about 10 original albums from the 60's that were in great shape.  I was in my early teens when these first came out and remember some of the songs however, I listened to them through the old small transistor radios or on AM radio.  Not very hi-end. 

Now that I get to listen to these on a good system with a true hi-end turntable I am amazed at how good they sound.  The soundstage is some of the best I have heard for LP's of the 60's.  Plus, the clarity is really nice.  I also find the music to be very musical, not harsh and very mellow.  I now see why they were so popular. 

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there.  I forget how much fun listening to the "music" can be.  It may not be the ultimate sound or recording but they are good and very enjoyable.  I hope others have the same experience when they are listening to old music. 

I hope while everyone enjoys this hobby they also remember to enjoy the music. 

Regards to All

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline butchbass

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:14:06 AM
Every time I hear the Lonely Bull it takes me back to my teens. I used to listen to the album when going to bed at night. Music is very nostalgic. Herb Alpert was so popular and busy in the '60s he burned out and took some time off.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:46:53 AM
And what record collection would be complete without at least one copy of "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" ?

Offline ALL212

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:51 PM
oooo....one of my favorite covers as a teen....could stare at that and just dream away!!!

Aaron Luebke

Offline Chris

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 04:00:27 PM
I know, I have a sweet tooth as well..  8)    ..In my town there are maybe 90 plus HA albums in the various charity stores... He and Ferrante and Teicher have the record... No pun intended,  hhhmmm yeah maybe a little... haha     But the only tune I liked was Rise. and funny enough, I found, last night, a 12" vinyl of Rise as a single.... Mint of course.. Was kind of chuffed with that...

Offline Yoder

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:37:35 PM
Music is very nostalgic.

Yup. I read an article years ago that discussed the bio-chemistry of memory. It was very easy to draw some conclusions based on the findings. Basically, when older memories are recalled the brain releases some opioid like substances. Knowing that, it is easy to see why we always feel good when we hear music from our youth. Music that we have not heard in awhile. Like real opioids, the more one recalls these old memories the less they feel the opioids.