Hiss/noise

Kmmm · 1259

Offline Kmmm

on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
Hi
I've had a Eros for about 4 years now. Love it! But I've always been troubled with noise/hiss. I have 106db speakers. I just noticed that I have LM431 labeled "WS" should I try changing them?
I have to mention that I have tried replacing the tubes with 3 different sets, in several combinations – with no improvements... The amp is a Steremour (I)
with no hiss when the Eros is disconnected. https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=5828.30

I have Another question as well (this might belong some where else..) : I'd like to implement a MiniDSP to my system Running my AER BD3 from the Steremour and the bass units from two Hypex UcD400HG
The stereomour using AC filaments does give me a hum. Not much but audible. If i put a HP filter on the stereomour running the full tones from say arround 200-250Hz i will still get the hum Right?
But if I put a cap in parallel on my element, say 50uf, would this block out the hum? I might be raving here...I'm new to this...

Greatfull for any help on this.

Kaare Mongstad

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:04 PM
Yes, I would try replacing the WS431s.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Kmmm

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:13 PM
Thanks! I'll try that :-)

Kaare Mongstad

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:18:10 AM
As for the hum. It is probably the residual from the AC on the 2A3 filament. Useing a filter on the input of the amp won't' help if that is the case, you can test this using shorting plugs on the inputs.

On the other hand if you are not using the amp to drive the woofer, the hum might be less noteasable. If it is, you can look into the D.C. Heater option....John

John S.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:33 AM
Also rewire the amp for the lowest output impedance. That will help to improve the S/N ratio.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Kmmm

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:15:44 PM
Thank you for your input. Is there a DC heater option for the original Stereomur? I have been looking for that but not been able to find any. That would solve the problem.
As for the output impedance my full tones are 16 Ohm. It would still be OK to wire them for the lowest impedance?

Kaare Mongstad

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:38:47 PM
DC upgrade is for Stereomour II.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:49:41 PM
To fill in a bit, the lack of a DC heater supply was one of the reasons for the Stereomour II design revision. It's a little tricky to make a DC supply for the low-voltage, high-current 2A3 filaments - we had to make a new power transformer to get there.

I don't know how to do it, but this is a little off-topic for the Eros thread. If it needs to go much further, perhaps a new thread should be started in the relevant forum.

Paul Joppa

Offline Kmmm

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 08:41:28 PM
Yes, Paul, Sorry

I'll start another thread. Thanks!

Kaare Mongstad

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:33 AM

As for the output impedance my full tones are 16 Ohm. It would still be OK to wire them for the lowest impedance?
Yes.  Driving a 16 Ohm speaker on the 4 Ohm setting provides a lower noise floor, better damping (bass control), reduced distortion, and reduced power.  All but one of these characteristics is desirable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man