some real basic questions

guf · 1576

Offline guf

on: September 13, 2013, 12:58:42 PM
I started a thread in the salk speaker forum on audiocircle explaining how much i loved my secondary system: SEX amp and Orcas and wondered what was missing  from my high dollar main system.  Most people suggested adding a tube pre to my all digital solid state system. Logically it should be the beepree.

I'm confident i'll like the sound so my main concerns are having some way to integrate a bypass for when using the main speakers for my home theater. my current dac/pre combo make it real easy with a simple click of a button. It's not a deal breaker but a convenience thing. i've read on these forums to wire up some sort of pass thru. this is easy right?

Also a remote, I need this, and from reading this is possible  from companies like bent audio? i'll replace the stock alps pot with a mechanical remote one?

and if i go remote does that mean i would NOT want to do the beequiet attenuator. Not even sure what that does... but it's an upgrade so i'd probably want to do it.

thanks in advance.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:33:07 PM
The BeeQuiet will pretty much rule out remote attenuation options, but you can add an aftermarket remote attenuator reasonably easily (be sure to power it from its own supply).

For HT bypass, one easy option would be to substitute RCA jacks for the XLR outputs, then put in a 4PDT toggle switch by the outputs.  In one position, the output of the preamp gets sent to the output jacks, in the other, the RCA jacks you've added are connected to the stock output jacks - bypassing the preamp entirely.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:32 PM
Also, many of the remote volume makers have switching ability using the same remote...John

John S.