Newbie questions -

janh · 1733

Offline janh

on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:40 AM
I connection with seriously considering the BeePre I have a few questions I hope you Bottleheads can help answearing.

I would need two pairs of balanced - XLR - outputs feeding the 200Kohm input of a tubeamp and a 20Kohm equalizer. The tube amp is driving a treble + midrange horn. The Eq is driving a big SS power amp for the bass system.
Will the relative high output impedance  - 1Kohm from the BeePre be a problem?

My loudspeaker system has a very high sensitivity ca. 108 db/1 watt and I hate noise. Will the BeePre be silent? Anyone here have any experience with the BeePre and hi-eff. speakers ?

How long would a pair of 300B last in a BeePre?

TIA & Merry Cristmas - Jan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
Hello Jan,

Driving a 200K load and 20K load will be roughly equivalent to driving an 18K load, which is still perfectly reasonable for the BeePre's balanced output. 

I don't believe you'll have any issues with 108dB sensitive speakers.  Generally the issues that we have are oversensitive amplifiers that need to have their inputs padded down a bit. 

In the BeePre, the 300B's are operated way, way below their maximum plate dissipation, and one would expect a very long life out of  good quality pair of 300B's.  If I had to speculate the lifetime in hours, I would guess 20,000-50,000 hours, but that's a WAG since the BeePre hasn't even existed that long ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline janh

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:08:48 AM
Hello Paul

Thanks for your replies. Have decided to order the BeePre kit.

Have been in contact with Eileen about an ETA on delivery. Apparently some parts are missing.  As soon as I get a notice that the BeePre kit is ready for shipping I`ll order and pay.
I have played a lot on SET`s and have several interesting makes of 300B in my tube stash: Svetlana, Full Music Solid Globe, Valve Art 4300B, Vaic 300Ref.
Looking very much forward to that direct heated triode sound.

Kind regards - Jan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:04 AM
As soon as I get a notice that the BeePre kit is ready for shipping I`ll order and pay.

Without going into the gory details of how the business operates, I can let you know that this will transform a 3-6 week wait time into a 3-6+ month wait time.  For the BeePre in particular, I believe once in the last year we have had one extra kit packed beyond what we have orders for, and otherwise there has been a (mostly short) backlog.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline janh

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
Thanks Paul.

Just ordered the BeePre.
Looking forward to do some soldering.

Kind regards - Jan