Power Supply for Squeezebox Touch

Lar · 33928

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:20 AM
Interesting idea with the Sheevaplug or Goflex, is that 128GB drive big enough? I find with my High Res music files take up lots of real estate.
Yeah, unfortunately it's all I can afford at this time, I went with the Goflex so I can dock a 1TB esata drive and store files on it as well. Squeezeplug will work with esata but I will most likely rotate files on and off the ssd for playback.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Lar

Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 02:55:38 PM
Finished product, Grainger, i used some heat shrink at the tranny points close to the box to keep the sparks down.

Larry V

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 10:21:40 PM
Lar, how does it sound installed, any improvement?

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 02:04:43 AM
Lar,  that looks very clean...nice work!  Everything else is stock, right?  I, too, am interested if you are hearing any sound quality changes.  John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Lar

Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 04:06:38 AM
I have not had much time to do any critical listening, but i will, i have noticed a quieter back ground , but that i`m sure would be system dependent. And yes the Squeezebox is stock.

Larry V

Offline John Roman

Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 06:07:34 AM
Hey Lee,
How you doin? Thanks for the Glassware site. Have you experimented with any of their stuff ? I've toyed with the idea of having a variable voltage power supply, be nice for test and experimenting.
Regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Lar

Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:11 PM
I have enjoyed the results of the LV - Regulator power supply i decided to make it a big brother and built this John Swenson designed power supply, so far sounding very good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:27:28 PM by Lar »

Larry V

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:34 PM
That is great Lar, you get alot of satisfaction out of building your own gear! Where did you get the plans for Johns design? I changed my set up for the SBT, I bought a vortexbox appliance, which I converted to fanless, added 3 more gb of ram, replaced thie internal hd with a 60gb ssd, and set up an external 2 drive raid for the file storage ( 2 480 gb solid state hds), when I build a mac mini based server I'll use the raid because it can also connect to esata. Again, great job on the ps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Lar

Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:13 PM
Yes it is a lot of fun building this stuff, and thanks. Page 2 of this thread, post 127 from Grufti has the schematic of John`s design. How do you like the vortexbox?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:29:52 PM by Lar »

Larry V

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:23 PM
So far I am liking the vortexbox, if you have alot of cds or dvds that need to be ripped it is perfect. I was originally going to build my own mini pc and install vortexbox but after buying memory the HDs and performing an ISO install of the vortexbox os (fedora linux based), I decided to buy the appliance and modify it for my own uses. The first night I had it I ripped 65 CDs to flac without any issue. Most took 3-5 minutes, but there were a couple that were damaged enough that the cd paranoia error correction took about 20 min. to complete. I don't like it's tagging structure for classical so I am ripping all of those using Max, XLD under OSX and dbpoweramp under windows. The appliance uses very little power, so leaving it on 24/7 is not a problem and it came with LMS already installed.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 10:18:34 AM
Anybody out there feel like doing me a huge favor and translating the schematic for the swenson power supply into words for me?

I just bought a sb touch and will send it to Bolder Cable for analog mods, will then tweak with the soundcheck 3.0 tookit, but also want to build a killer psu for it.

Does it look easy to slightly change the output voltage of this design -- say from 5.0 to 5.7 or 5.8?  I have a bybee music rail I may want to try in it later and that eats up about .7-.8v itself.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36:55 AM
Jim,

If you mean the schematic posted on the previous page by Lar, I can do that.  The regulation comes from an LT1084, a fixed 5V three pin regulator.  A variable regulator can be substituted and you can dial in the voltage you want. 

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:49 PM
Thanks, Grainger, and yes, that's the one.  Please, if I may ask, include all parts designations such as type, size, series, etc. -- according to Hans, the types of caps are important too, as is I suppose just about everything else.

Thanks much,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:54 PM
I will give it a go.

Transformer, Triad VPS10-2500. Across the Secondary, is a stubber consisting of a .022uf cap  in series with a 330 ohm resistor.

To a full wave bridge, STM STPS20120D is the listed diode.

Next is a CLC filter. All caps are  Panasonic, 35V.

120uf, FC
 10mh, Hammond 159 ZJ
 10000uf, TSHA.

This feeds a 3 pin LT1084 regulator. The input has a 470uf, FM, essentially in parallel with the 10000uf cap, just closer. P3 (input) to P1 (ground).

Then another 470Uf , FM. From the output (P2) to ground, (P1)       

John S.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:20 AM
John and Grainger,

Thank you both very much!  You guys rock!  Seems simple enough but the  devil is in the details.  Just wondering why such a monster of a bridge -- maybe diodes are less noisy when used at far lower than their rated current?

I may even have a nice split-bobbin transformer I can sub.  I may even have 90% of these parts on-hand.

Anybody know the O.D. and I.D. for the DC barrell connector for the Touch?

Thanks much -- love this forum!

-- Jim