Base Finish Decisions

Rosinante · 611

Offline Rosinante

on: December 31, 2021, 10:33:36 AM
I read a number of posts about finishing wood bases, and finishing alder in general, and my head was swimming with recommendations to use complex methods when I found Doc B's most excellent explanatory video here:

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13226.msg120867#msg120867

It seems that a water-based aniline dye is a great choice for changing the wood's color.  I had envisioned something dark, which would contrast with the metal plate.  And then Paul B was nice enough to agree to coat the plate(s) a lovely bronzy brown.  Now I think a dark wood base is just not enough "pop."  Beauty is entirely subjective of course, but I hope to get peoples' thoughts.  I could go dark to basically match the plate, or full-blonde alder, or something in between.  I am thinking of perhaps something in between and I suppose aniline dyes probably come in various colors.  Also, I do want to bring out the wood grain, visually.  And finally....simplicity.  I would love to perhaps just dye the base and then use an oil finish (if that is easy) or perhaps spray a rattle can clear coat (if that is recommended).  Thank you in advance for input.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:47:23 AM
Water based poly will keep the wood really light, which is how I would lean. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Rosinante

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:55:12 AM
Will it bring out the wood grain?  Or do you favor the nude-as-possible alder look?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:15:03 PM
I am a big fan of a simple oil finish, Tung or Dainish. Super easy to apply and makes the grain pop...John

John S.

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 03:02:52 AM
I use wipe-on polyurethane. Very easy to work with. I use gloss poly and build up coats, lightly sanding between coats until I get the level of gloss I am looking for. Two or three coats create a satin look, but I usually go for five coats to build up a slightly higher gloss. This method only slightly darkens the wood and lets the grain shine through.

Oil finishes, as others have stated also work well.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 09:13:51 AM
A lighter wood finish with a dark top plate looks fantastic IMHO. That's been my formula for the last few Bottlehead builds. My goto wood finish is "Tried and True." They are a non-toxic food grade product which is a good consideration if you have children, pets or people with environmental sensitivities in the house. Clark Blumenstein turned me on to this product years ago and I've been using it ever since.

https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/