Looking for options - cheap option for amp

wullymc · 2120

Offline wullymc

on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I am lookimg for some options.  I have already built a quickie but am not using it.  I am about to build some high sensitivity speakers to eventually use with a Sex amp that I will build.

For  right now I cant afford to purchase the Sex.  So basically I am wondering what I can do to use the new speakers I am building.  I do have a marrantz amp but would like to use the Quickie .  Would you recommed using the Quickie feed to the Marrantz ti the speakers? ?.or is there another alternative on the cheap unit until I buy the Sex?

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:15:13 PM
Hello Dave,

Which Marantz do you have?

To get by, you could pick up an inexpensive Tripath amp for less than $50 that will get the job done (mostly).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:16:40 PM
What speakers are you driving?

What do you consider "cheap"?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:40:57 PM
Hi Dave,

I use one of these with a quickie out in my shop with some vintage Warfdale 2 way speakers.
http://www.jerryselectronics.com/diykits/kaa03021/kaa03021.htm
It sounds really nice, you can use it with the Quickie and at $25 shipped falls within your "on the cheap" requirement.
I left out the potentiometer on the amplifier board and substituted a simple voltage divider at the input. Then I just use the pot on the Quickie to adjust volume.

Regards,
Tom
(Natural Sound)

Offline Hierfi

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:09 PM
I use one of these with a quickie out in my shop with some vintage Warfdale 2 way speakers.
It sounds really nice, you can use it with the Quickie and at $25 shipped falls within your "on the cheap" requirement.

There are things about class D that are appealing and I want to try one of those, though shipping to Canada is probably considerably more. What do you use for a supply? I was looking for around 20 volts for my power amp section and picked up a 90 watt lenovo clone supply from ebay for about $11 with shipping. Cut the ends off the cable, added a step up converter to the tube B+ supply to support the higher voltage of the tubes and step down converter for the heater for another $8 or so. About $20 total for all supplies.
Gerrit

Gerrit Aartsen
(Microfirm Dynamics)

Offline wullymc

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:24:07 PM
Hello Dave,

Which Marantz do you have?

To get by, you could pick up an inexpensive Tripath amp for less than $50 that will get the job done (mostly).

-PB

Hi Paul,

I have an SR5000.  It is a surround receiver.  I was thinking feeding the  Quickie to it.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have checked out the Tripath.  I saw the Lepai one....something to hold me off for now.

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline wullymc

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:25:07 PM
What speakers are you driving?

What do you consider "cheap"?

Hi Josh,

Thanks
I will be making some Woden Valiant with Fostex FE126ens.  Cheap...I don't know under $50?

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:23 PM

What do you use for a supply?
I'm using an 12aH SLA battery that I charge with my 20 watt solar panel.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 05:35:12 AM
Hi Dave,

I left out the potentiometer on the amplifier board and substituted a simple voltage divider at the input. Then I just use the pot on the Quickie to adjust volume.

Regards
Tom

What is the input impedance on this amp?  I have a 10k amp, its not really ideal for the Quickie.

Dave

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:41:24 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »