Headphone Choice for Paramounts?

casanis · 3985

Offline casanis

on: March 22, 2014, 10:12:09 PM
I have a chance to pick up either a pair of Grado RS1i's or Senn HD650...used and at a very good price.

I'm quite happy with my current setup and am not looking to add an additional amp for headphone duty.

What's the general consensus for headphone impedance when driven with Paramounts (2A3 configuration) and Foreplay III?

Thoughts and or opinions most welcomed!

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:04:00 AM by casanis »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:47:26 AM
Look for something that enjoys a 16 Ohm impedance as that's what you're going to get with the Paramounts. The Senns are out. Why not find a pair is AKG K1000's?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:03:20 AM
Sennhieser will work well, Grados will probably be too sensitive.

I'd add some series resistance for the Sennhiesers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:43 AM
Sennhieser will work well, Grados will probably be too sensitive.

I'd add some series resistance for the Sennhiesers.

Why will they work well and would they work well without the series resistance?

Aaron Johnson

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:33:07 AM
The Grados are a very sensitive headphone so you will need an amp with a nice quite noise floor and low output impedance to drive them properly.  The Sennheisers are a lot more forgiving and seem to work well with just about any amp.

As to which to go for, that's a choice only you can make. I adore my Ms-Pros (RS1 variant), and never liked my HD650's, but many people would be the complete opposite so you really need to listen to both and decide for yourself, both are a very nice pair of headphones.

M.McCandless

Offline casanis

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:47 AM
RE: the sensitivity of the Grados, I have been reading that a series added 120ohm resistor is standard on other amps. Would this addition help the sensitivity issue of the Grados matching up with the Paramounts?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:26:25 PM
The added 120 ohm resistor would help the Grado sensitivity issue greatly. Unfortunately the Grados in general do not like that resistor, it muddies the bass (I am told). I'm ot a headphone user myself, so maybe someonewith direct experience will add a comment?

Paul Joppa

Offline casanis

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:01:11 PM
Went for the HD650's... picking them up later today. Thanks for the info all.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:58 PM
Report back how you like the combination.

Offline casanis

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:53 PM
Picked up the HD650's this morning and hooked them up just to verify functionality.

They sound quite good, however, appear to be a little too sensitive. Thankfully I did not go for the Grado's!

Can anyone offer input on 120ohm resistors for the headphone output (type, brand etc...).

I have some 150ohms on hand, however, will be putting in a partsconnection order this week...

The Paramounts hum balance pots made a huge difference in quelling hum...

Will update accordingly.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:00 PM
Toss the 150 Ohm resistors that you have now in and see how you like them.  (Clip leads to test if you like)

Also, wire your Paramounts for the lowest possible output transformer impedance.

How is the noise level without resistors? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline casanis

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:47:35 PM
"Also, wire your Paramounts for the lowest possible output transformer impedance."

How will this affect the speaker outputs (currently wired for 8 ohms)?

I was hoping to add a switch to the speaker terminal o/p on each Paramount to go between headphone out (via internally mounted barrier strip) and speaker output.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:37 PM
If you use the 4 Ohm configuration on your 8 Ohm speakers, you will sacrifice some output power but at the same time obtain better damping and a lower noise floor. 

If you want to be a true bad ass, you can convert your Paramount speaker outputs to balanced outputs (lift the ground from the negative speaker post, then put a 100 Ohm resistor from + to ground and - to ground), then add a 1/4" switching TR jack to each amp.  Cable up your headphones for balanced operation with two 1/4" mono plugs, then when you plug them in the speakers will cut out :)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline casanis

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:58 PM
Okay - thanks for the info!

Lots to chew on here...

The noise level from the Paramount is almost non-existent with the hum pots tweaked accordingly. (input shorted)

I am hearing some noise from upstream of the Foreplay when the TD-124 is selected through my Yaqin RIAA...the weakest link I'd say.

This sure is a slippery slope! Headphones are a great way to really hear what your system is sounding like...

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:07 PM
The resistor - 120 ohms, 150 ohms, or whatever - won't make a lot of difference with the 300 ohm 650s. The resistor is mostly effective for low-impedance phones (like 40 ohm Grados). If you need to attenuate the headphone signal, it's better to make up an L-pad - two resistors per channel. That way you can retain a lower output impedance too.

Paul Joppa