3D Printed Case for Bottlehead Crack

Colonl_Charisma · 621

Offline Colonl_Charisma

on: August 24, 2020, 09:06:15 AM
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has ever 3D printed a case for their Bottlehead Crack. If so, what schematic was used for the printing? I am currently assembling my first Bottlehead Crack which has turned out to be a very enjoyable project. I love the wood case, but I thought it would be kind of cool to experiment with some different case types.

Ross

Offline OverAnalyst

• experimental indie/punk/jazz
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 05:45:34 PM
So you'd have to create a 3D model (CAD) of the case. There are various file formats you can save the file under (i.e. stp, igs, etc) and you upload that to the 3D printer. You'll need to make sure the printer is large enough to print the case, assuming you want it in one single piece. One concern I'd have is the surface finish. The finish won't appear smooth due to the resolution of the printer (perhaps it may depend on printer). But I'm sure some creative post-processing would result in a nice piece. I guess the question would be, do you have ability/software to draft up the case.

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 08:14:48 PM
I just saw you reply! I really appreciate your response. My friend actually has the 3D printer and software so he and I are going to sit down and come up with the design. I would be able to do a single piece design because his printer is large enough. I did not even think about the surface finish, but I believe you are correct about some post-processing making it appear nicer. When/if I am able to do it I will post some pictures here.

Ross

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 03:08:59 AM
Carbon fibre print?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:08:28 AM
Bear in mind that the case will get quite warm and will need good ventilation.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.