Differences in Crack 1.0 and 1.1?

Ctoy15 · 1611

Offline Ctoy15

on: April 09, 2017, 02:21:37 PM
I am currently in the process of buying my first Bottlehead product, and have been looking for something used to save money as I am just getting into this high quality audio business. In my search, I have come across a Crack 1.0. I looked at the changes that were announced with the Crack 1.1, but don't really understand what they actually mean. I figured the best way to find out would be to ask on here. So I am kind of aware of what the purpose of the new transformer is, but correct me if I am wrong. It is universal so it can be used with all voltages. Is that the extent of the change, just adaptability? To go along with this, it says that the new transformer will not fit in the old chassis, but how big of a difference was made? And lastly, how was the assembly made easier for this kit? I was told by an owner of the Crack 1.1 that the Speedball was MUCH easier to install, which made me think about whether or not I would need to get the updated version as this will be my first DIY and the easier the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Toy

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
Yes, you are correct, the new power transformer is just a change to allow it to be wired for just about any voltage you'll find around the world.

The updated Speedball came out on its own and will work with either version of the Crack.  The new Speedball is indeed significantly easier to build.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ctoy15

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:57:46 PM
So how did the new transformer change the chassis? It's significant enough for the new and old ones to not be compatible. Is it a size/space difference?

For the Speedball, if I buy a 1.0 Crack, but a revised Speedball, they would be compatible and the Speedball would be easier to build? Just out of curiosity, what changes were made to make it easier to build?

Chris Toy

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:13:26 PM
So how did the new transformer change the chassis? It's significant enough for the new and old ones to not be compatible. Is it a size/space difference?
The new transformer requires a slightly different chassis cutout. We do not sell either transformer separately, and there isn't any reason to put the new transformer in an older Crack, or put an old transformer in a newer Crack.

For the Speedball, if I buy a 1.0 Crack, but a revised Speedball, they would be compatible and the Speedball would be easier to build?
Already answered.
The updated Speedball came out on its own and will work with either version of the Crack.  The new Speedball is indeed significantly easier to build.

Just out of curiosity, what changes were made to make it easier to build?
We focused on the most common errors made in the installation of the original Speedball and just designed them right out of the kit.  We also revised all the boards, making a new board to sit up front that requires less wiring and fits the chassis better, and we revised the rear board to use fewer parts and also require less wiring.  The manual is also much clearer about some other common mistakes that are made along the way.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man