6SN7 adaptor?

blstrek · 1880

Offline blstrek

on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:55 PM
I recently orderd this adaptor off of ebay for use in my headphone amp. Crack with speedball.
However, when it arrived, they has sent the 12v version. I am told I should be using the 6.3V version. I have NOT attempted to plug it into for fear of damage. Should I return it for the proper adaptor, or is there another option?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PM
There is another option, but it's ugly and difficult.

You can cut the junction between pins 4 and 5 on the 9 pin socket, then move the wire going to pin 9 to whichever pin (4 or 5) doesn't have anything attached to it.

This will convert your amp to use 6CG7's or 7AU7's, and the 12V adapter will then work in the socket.

(I'd return it)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline blstrek

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:39:04 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking returning it would be best. Although it might take a while as it came all the way from Hong Kong. :(

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:45:28 AM
Dave,

I would return it.  Most sellers would be happy to exchange it if you pay shipping back to you.  If the mistake was theirs, they should pay return shipping.

Offline danosol

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:36:54 AM
Would a 6V6 to EL84 have the same pinot as a 6SN7 to 12AU7.  I bought an adapter from lowther club and it had a glob of solder on one of the pins and it was set in crooked (In Epoxy).

Offline blstrek

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:13:22 AM
I sent them a message regarding exchange. But, it's midnight in Hong Kong, so I'mnot expecting to hear back until tomorrow.

Dave

Offline blstrek

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 03:07:38 PM
As it turns out, they advised me against returning it as shipping back to China is quite expensive. But they offered to send me the proper one at price, minus the shipping charge. So, it's on it's way.

I don't understand why it is more expensive to ship into China than it is to ship out of China. But, it is. $5 to ship from there to here, (USA, East Coast), over $20 to ship back. Ridiculous.

Dave

Offline blstrek

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:05 PM
There is another option, but it's ugly and difficult.

You can cut the junction between pins 4 and 5 on the 9 pin socket, then move the wire going to pin 9 to whichever pin (4 or 5) doesn't have anything attached to it.

This will convert your amp to use 6CG7's or 7AU7's, and the 12V adapter will then work in the socket.

(I'd return it)

Paul,

I'm confused. You say this will convert my amp to 6CG7 or 7AU7, but those are nine pin tubes.

This adapter allows me to plug an eight pin tube (6SN7) into the Cracks nine pin socket.........

Would the instruction you posted work for converting to 6SN7?

Dave

Offline blstrek

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:37 PM
Nevermind. I just took that thing into the shop and attempted to open it. They filled it with some kind of hard goop. There is no getting it apart without destroying it.

Dave