Davis speaker

Gerry E. · 4364

Offline Gerry E.

on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:23 AM

...but my DIY fullrange speakers (using a nice Davis 20DE8 unit) don't really sing, mids ok, but puny bass. better than -dread- no music.

OT: Hi Marco - The Davis 20DE8 speaker driver is a bit off the beaten path, how did you find it and how do you like it in general?  6Moons will be reviewing the Davis MV One speaker system in the near future.  It uses the 20DE8 in a single driver system.  If you don't mind, what does a pair of 20DE8s cost?  Thanks!

Gerry     
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:47:33 PM by Gerry E. »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:05 AM
Arrgh! Marco, my profuse apologies, I thought your info about the Davis speaker was so interesting that I tried to move the topic to the speaker category. I did something stupid and lost your posts! If you wouldn't mind I think it would be a great contribution to the knowledge base if you could repost at least the links you provided. Once again my apologies. I should not try to edit the forum from an iPad...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:53:36 AM
Edit: This will be out-of-order based on what Doc wrote above but I wanted to thank Marco for his Davis D20DE8 speaker info.

Hi Marco:

Thank you for the detailed info on your Davis 20DE8 speakers!  They seem to be in the same league as classic French speakers from PHY, Fertin, etc.

I'm using a pair of BH Paramount 300B amps with vintage Altec 10" "full-range" drivers on an Open Baffle.  The speakers include a pair of "helper" tweeters and a single powered subwoofer.  You may want to consider a powered-sub for bass.

Thanks again.

Gerry

Offline marco08

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:32:38 AM
here we go again :

http://www.audiophonics.fr/davis-acoustics-20de8-220mm-p-7964.html?osCsid=cc07e107fde2fcee77e349a13c888778
http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/images/Davis_Acoustics/20DE8_Stereo_Image_N54.pdf

as Gerry said, the DIY preferred option is in an open baffle design, but that"s not really WAF compatible... Davis is kind enough to provide DIYers with the internal sketches of its MV One speaker (10 Kilobucks a pair), so that I built one over a couple of weeks. It"s a complex bass reflex with an internal wave guide, kind of larguish (100x50x30 cm), with no filter at all.

link to the MV Ones :

http://www.davis-acoustics.com/en/dream/mv-one/

sounded bloody beautifull with my beepre and CODA S12 amp, with the best ever midrange i've had, pleasently rounded highs (starts rolling down around 12khz, but not to steeply). Bettering the bliss I had with my Maggies 1.6, almost as fast, but a much more satisfying bottom/lower mids, and infinitely better than my ML Quests (never could get used to the mix of emitters).

Two caveats : a bit weak in the bottom end, and, it's not the speakers fault, a diffilcult listening room in a basement (highly reflective, a spiral stairway in the middle that replicates a perfect horn, low ceiling).

In total contradiction with the spirit of the beepre, I got a DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 and a BW PV1D sub, and spent some time to integrate the sub in an almost inaudible way to get a flat 20-80 curve in REW(above that, the Davis is just perfectly flat to 12khz, except for a few bumps and dips due to room resonnance... and the DSP can give a nudge).

so, finally, in a bizarre steampunk kind of way, I got this DHT pre, class A mosfet amp, pure digit DSP, full range speaker combo to sound like milk&honey.

Offline primozhoce

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:46:31 PM
Hi Marco,

I am starting to play with 20DE8. Wonderful driver, I am little afraid about peeks in upper mid/lower highs I am having. Hopefully not domain of alu dome. BTW could you share with me box sketch of MV One? I am listening it in open baffle but I would like to try proper box...

Thanks!
P.