Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234953

Offline Grainger49

Reply #345 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:26 AM
I noticed last night that this thread got stickyed. 

Is the BottleBlumen breaking in all day?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:36:40 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #346 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:15 AM
Yes, the system is in the front room, which is also Eileen's office. So it's getting a lot of use. Been running most of the day, until I do my end of the day listening session on the big system upstairs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #347 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:05 AM
So until the martini Blast-O-Rama (I hadn't heard you did that) the BottleBlumen is singing in the front.

Offline BNAL

Reply #348 on: March 17, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
This post is driving me crazy, because I want to hear what the Orca's sound like. I wish I lived driving distance to the Pacific North West, so I could take advantage of the setup at BH headquarters. I guess I will have to suffer in San Diego.

Is there anyone around San Diego with Orca's?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline BNAL

Reply #349 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:11 AM
Ok. I decided to pull the trigger without first hearing the Orcas. This is based on what was written in these post and talking to Clark and others about them. They will replace my S.E.X.y speaker, and I

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline Grainger49

Reply #350 on: March 20, 2013, 11:06:11 AM
Brad,

If you like pinpoint images in a deep soundstage you are going to love them.

Offline BNAL

Reply #351 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:56 AM
I can't wait.  I have been using the S.E.X.y speakers that have Fostex 166e drivers and find that the single driver has a coherence through most of the frequency range that is very appealing to me, especially at lower volumes.

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline johnsonad

Reply #352 on: March 20, 2013, 05:29:22 PM
I can't wait.  I have been using the S.E.X.y speakers that have Fostex 166e drivers and find that the single driver has a coherence through most of the frequency range that is very appealing to me, especially at lower volumes.

Once they are burned in I hope to come up and listen to your pair! :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline manis

Reply #353 on: March 23, 2013, 05:29:54 AM
Ok. I decided to pull the trigger without first hearing the Orcas. This is based on what was written in these post and talking to Clark and others about them.

I hear ya. Since I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, I have no chance whatsoever to listen to BottleBlumen combos or any other decent audio gear for that matter. So basically I just ordered a pre-owned SEX 2.1 (only a couple months mileage) five weeks ago, based on information I found on the net. What interested me in particular is the headphone amp/speaker amp combo. It has not disappointed so far... wait that's an understatement... Wow! Holy cow! How can something this inexpensive sound so good? What Hi-fi shops usually sell at this price point can now officially be classified as daylight robbery. I LOVE my SEX!

From what I understand, the people on these forums are of the no-nonsense type that don't particularly strike me as prone to hype. Last week I pulled the trigger on a pair of Orcas, as these little wonders receive so much positive feedback from the Bottlehead community and they seem to be in line with what I'm looking for in terms of soundstage, imaging, near field listening application, SEX(ual) synergy etc. Now I just hope the delivery man doesn't screw up and the import duty and VAT will not kill me before I get a chance to enjoy sonic nirvana! :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:35:42 AM by manis »

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline BNAL

Reply #354 on: March 23, 2013, 06:22:10 AM
Manis,

We have something in common. My S.EX. was upgraded in the middle of the Mediterranean on a Navy ship. Thought I don't think it meets the electrical safety standards. Actually it does, because it has a safety ground.

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline Demsy

Reply #355 on: March 23, 2013, 07:54:07 AM
Finally receive my Orcas today, in good condition, after waiting for almost 3 months! Is this the first Orca in Indonesia?
Got about 8 hours of various music and they improve with the hours. I can say I like it a lot, imaging, sound stage width, depth and height is exceptionally good! And I'm sure it will also sound less harsh in the coming days together with other improvements.
Bravo Blumensteins!

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #356 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:47 AM
Anyone have recommendations for the settings on the Sub woofer amp?  I have the 100W version and a single sub with black paper cone.  On the amp I have the Gain turned up a quarter and Freq. dial set at half way.  Sounds good but I'm hoping someone has found a nice sweet spot where the Orca and Subs mesh the best!

Thanks

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #357 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:11 PM
It's going to vary with each room. Aside from taking response measurements that can show you if certain room modes are being drive, it's best to just tune by ear. I usually start with the sub off, then turn it up to where I just perceive it's addition to the bass. In our room with a Stereomour the sub level knob is about 10 o'clock and the crossover frequency knob is at about 110 Hz. We have lightly stuffed the Orca ports to reduce a resonance peak we were measuring at 90Hz. Your room could be very different.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #358 on: March 26, 2013, 06:07:35 PM
After listening to an array of music genres on the Sub + Amp I've found that there is no single setting on the gain dial which works best.  I do find that the frequency response control sounds pretty good set around the 110 Hz.  My set-up is in a near field application on my desk so room effects are less of a concern. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #359 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:26 AM
Blumenstein used to have a starting point somewhere on the site.  But I don't remember where.