Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234959

Offline Grainger49

Reply #480 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:12 AM
Orca listening this afternoon.  I'm cleaning LPs, listening to CDs.  The last cut on John Renbourn's Ship Of Fools, Travellers' Prayer, is an acapella song.  I had to stop cleaning and sit in front of the listening chair (the dog was sleeping in it) and listen.  It is amazing on the Orcas.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #481 on: October 19, 2013, 09:27:35 AM
Hey Grainger; Since obtaining a VPI classic and a BPS Evo lll cartridge, I have listened to my copies of Renbourne's "Lady & the Unicorn" and "Sir John Alot" albums and couldn't agree more with your experience. Something alive about these Transatlantic Records cuts, would love to find some more, now that I am listening to vinyl again via the Orcas+subs on BH gear.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene OR

Offline Grainger49

Reply #482 on: October 19, 2013, 09:38:10 AM
I played those this week while cleaning LPs.  I didn't have them on CD and just bought them, arrived this week.  I have Transatlantic LPs of both, of course from the 70s when I started my collection of British Folk-Rock.

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #483 on: October 29, 2013, 08:18:49 AM
Hi everyone,

We're in the midst of a large production run in caramel bamboo and we have 2 sets of Orcas and Dungeness that are unspoken for and in stock. Clark and I decided to extend the sale that precipitated this production to these 2 remaining sets.

Typically, the wait time can be 4-8 weeks for a complete Orca/Dungeness system, but these setups are set to ship out by November 8th, and we're offering them at 10% off.

Price includes:

1 Pair of Caramel Orca Fullrange
1 Piece Caramel Dungeness Subwoofer

Clark also decided to throw in a set of 9-feet complimentary speaker cable at the last minute to sweeten the deal ; )

Contact us if you're interested. We'd love to give these setups a home, and I know we say this every time, but...this is our nicest woodwork to date. Really, it is!

Hope all you locals are enjoying this beautiful Fall weather.

Molly

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Grainger49

Reply #484 on: November 01, 2013, 09:47:26 AM
I've gotten lazy since purchasing the Orcas.  They make CDs sound really good so I play fewer LPs. 

Today I am listening to Dire Straits, On Every Street.  I know this album well.  It sounds better than ever today. 

My thanks to Clark and Molly for expanding my enjoyment of my music!

There was an interruption in my listening.  The soundstage is exceptional.  Knopfler's  guitar playing is exceptional.  It is mystic!  This album is exceptionally well recorded.

Album name corrected.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:26:51 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #485 on: November 02, 2013, 04:19:40 AM
Today I am listening to Dire Straits, On Every Corner.  I know this album well.  It sounds better than ever today. 

Apparently you don't know it as well as you thought. The album is named, "On Every Street."  ;)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #486 on: November 02, 2013, 04:25:22 AM
First, I received the shipping notice for my Dungeness subs today.  It might have come last night but I opened the email this morning.  I'm excited to say the least!  I'll do some room rearranging today.

You are right, I wasn't looking and just remembering.  Or in this case misremembering.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:28:14 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #487 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:51 AM
Oh, CRAP!  I just realized I need to make a trip to Home Depot and buy a triple box and another Hospital outlet to power the Dungeness Subs. 

I have more things to plug in than the P300 can supply (4 max) so I expanded by making a short cord with 4 outlets at the end.  Now I need 6 outlets.  I currently run at 170W maximum.  I'm good to 300W.

Offline RPMac

Reply #488 on: November 08, 2013, 04:49:19 AM
Grainger, got your subs going? How about a report?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #489 on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:47 AM
FedEx, my least favorite carrier, didn't pick up the Dungeness subs till Tuesday this week.  They were ready Thursday night last week.  I would have expected a Friday pick up.

So they estimate delivery on Saturday.  That is, if they can find my house.  The have mis-delivered more packages than correctly delivered in the last 7 years.  They arrived in Nashville, 3 hours away, at 5:00 AM today.

Yesterday I went to HD and got some wood putty to plug the holes where the Orcas were screwed to the stands.  I intend to lay them on their side.  The putty that nearest matched them was Honey Oak.  Funny, they are Caramel but a light Caramel.

Eagerly awaiting! ! !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:39:44 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline azrockitman

Reply #490 on: November 08, 2013, 06:20:35 AM
It's a race!  mine is due for delivery today!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline debk

Reply #491 on: November 08, 2013, 03:46:08 PM
How does the Dungeness compare to the older Blumenstein Orca sub?

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #492 on: November 09, 2013, 12:05:38 PM
The Dungeness subs arrived about 4:00 PM this afternoon.  Unpacking them and getting them onto the stands and wired took an hour.  My brother called asking about Thanksgiving so that ate up some time.

They are quick.  I got the settings wrong first off, I didn't see that there was a 9, 10 and 11 o'clock hash mark.  So everything was too bassy at first.  Duh!  Wrong setting!

I played 40 Days by The Wailin' Jennys then The Heartbeat of Japan, the Kodo Taiko drums.

The detail in the bass is much improved over the Boston Acoustics sub.  My brief listening says, "Fast, Detailed, Well Integrated."

I'm cleaning the full downstairs of the house after 3 days of demo, grinding, sanding and screwing the sub floor down (as it should have been done when the house was built).

More later, less sooner!

Offline Chris

Reply #493 on: November 09, 2013, 12:59:12 PM
Sounds like the perfect sub.. you want it super fast and detailed...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:02:08 AM by Chris »

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #494 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:43 AM
How does the Dungeness compare to the older Blumenstein Orca sub?

Deb

I answered this question for Deb over email, but imagining that others might have similar questions, I thought I'd relay my response to the forum:

The Dungeness Sub could be considered a decent upgrade to the Orca sub. It integrates even better sonically and goes lower, and is smaller and less expensive.  It took a lot of design work to get all these initiatives covered, but it really came together on this subwoofer model.

And for those interested in developments on our Feastrex-based speaker, the Uni, we have a pair of the new Alpha series drivers in the prototype cabinets--as before, available for demonstration.

It might be a crime to pair the Uni with a Sub, from our shop or otherwise, but of course we'll be playing around with every aspect of these drivers, including with subs, over time. They make unbelievable bass, into what sounds like the low thirties, even off the SR 45's.  Yes, they are ~10k/pr, but they are an extreme value at that price, even.  Feastrex has taken their drivers to a whole new level with their whizzerless Alpha series as evidenced by the fact that the pair I just received (to fill an order), which has been breaking in for 3 days solid has transformed into probably the best fullrange driver experience I've ever had in my own home, overall, in only 75 hours of break in time (stateside, probably that many hours logged in Japan as well).  They are also extremely competitive considering the upward trend of prices for high end fullrange designs.  They are also unconventionally small and unassuming.  They punch way above their weight, with such finesse and calm it is just baffling.

I know that I haven't given anything but qualifications to their performance here, and over time I'll post measurements once the drivers are broken in enough to take them. In the meantime, if anybody doubts these assessments I challenge you to come by and hear them and leave without a huge grin on your face.

Cheers!

Clark