Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234765

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #525 on: December 22, 2013, 10:18:05 AM
Ended up going with the JJ-2A3-40 and picked up a NOS Telefunken 12AT7.  Looking forward to seeing how they mesh with my Orca's which have been settling in very nicely.  I'm not exactly sure how many hours are on them but I feel like they now produce a more mature and controlled sound.

Tom, thanks for the impressions.  As soon as I read the kinds of things you were hearing out of your Orcas as close as 6 inches away, I knew you had gone through a complete break in cycle.  For those who have not tried this out yet, this really is not as crazy as it sounds.  They really are that clean/composed that they work at all listening distances.  They truly liquify the music.

I too have been inspired heavily by K1000's (and many other headphones) to arrive at the presentation of the Orcas.  While I do most of my listening from a slouch these days, when I really want an exciting ride into the music, nearfield and ultra nearfield with speakers is still "it" for me.  Its the only option that is truly "in between" speakers and headphones.  Giving you the impact and holographic presentation of speakers, at the low volume/non stressed low wattage physical environment of headphones.  The bass is still tunable via rear wall distance and subtle adjustments to the subwoofer.   And the price of a pair of Orcas is roughly equivalent to a respectable pair of headphones.  Also, listening with friends and waiting to get a moment in the sweet spot is decidedly less tedious with speakers....but still, its a little bit of apples and oranges here.  Like cars versus motorcycles, an age old debate about whats the most fun to drive/comfortable over the long haul. 

I still have yet to try the JJ2A3, am scrimping and saving all our extra funds to assemble a kick ass Feastrex based big rig right down to custom Bottlehead wires, power cords, and a homemade turntable plinth.  Its all inspired heavily by the successful acoustic design of Doc's own big rig.  More details to come soon, but suffice it to say, my Xmas present this year has been 2 sheets of 3/4 inch bamboo ply I'm picking up first thing tomorrow morning to monkey around with in the shop on Christmas day.

I've been reserving judgement until I could get it to really work, but the little T96H tweeter shown in the photo has been doing a surprisingly good job of keeping up with the main speakers and I can't wait to see what happens when we get the wiring cleaner.  Call it a cheap tweeter if you like, but I've got it extremely well amplifier off of SR45's running EML globe 45's.  I've actually since mounted the tweeters into solid blocks of bamboo.  They do sound better than the T900A's we sent off with Terry Cain's big Double Horns, but still not as good as the T500AMKII's I've heard in other folks' systems. 

Yesterday we traded Paul B. a pair of Birch Orcas to for BHQ's packing room for an upgraded method of tweeter attenuation via a Submissive (from a Quickie).  And boy did this tighten things up even a bit more!

We will be working with other crossover methods for these tweeters and some others, biamped and not.  But the basic ingredients of this FR/supertweeter are definitely suiting my tastes for now.  Its definitely a more addictive listen with extended treble.  The leading edges are better defined all around.  I can see now why the larger format (well respected) FR's tend to opt for a supertweet of some sort.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Grainger49

Reply #526 on: December 27, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Today I'm listening to a Bootleg CD from Tape of a CS&N concert in 1991 (I think).   The talking is very low volume but the singing and instrumentation is much louder.

This is Kick Ass Audio!   The soundstage is better than the concerts I have heard.  And I have heard them 5 or 6 times.

The stage and mix is astounding!

Offline Demsy

Reply #527 on: January 05, 2014, 01:06:54 PM
Hi Clark and Molly,
Any update on the shipping date of the caramelized bamboo Dungeness?

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #528 on: January 05, 2014, 03:21:04 PM
I got my JJ2A3-40's and a telefunken 12at7 in the mail yesterday and have been able to get some play time with them.  The difference was very immediate and apparent once the amp had been properly warmed up.  Vocals are incredibly vivid and life-like in tone and scale which was evident when I started playing Road by Nick Drake.  Aside from better resolution the new tubes add more texture to the instruments which is also enjoyable.  The gain also seem to be greater with the JJ's requiring less volume but still able to perform wonderfully at lower levels.  The JJ's are noticeably larger than the Sovtek tubes but lack the nice blue glow which the Sovtek tubes emit.  I'll need to try rolling the 12at7 more to see how much impact it has but overall the Orca's are very capable of relaying the higher level of resolution these tubes produce!

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #529 on: January 05, 2014, 04:46:50 PM
Hey Tdogzthmn;

Your assessment is pretty much in accord with what I experienced when rolling out my National Union 2A3's and listened to the JJ 2A3-40's in the amp which PB built for me. I too was disappointed that they had no glow; but the scale of the stage both at low and high volume settings is impressive, making the sacrifice worth it. The music does not shrink down into and between the Orcas as the volume is turned down. the stage remains wide and deep at any volume setting. The six-month warranty from Eurotubes in Portland OR is comforting too.

Good Listening to you! Hank in Eugene

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #530 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:10 PM
Hi Clark and Molly,
Any update on the shipping date of the caramelized bamboo Dungeness?

Hi Demsy,

Molly sent you an email regarding your anticipated ship date. We're still sending things out in the order they were received. Lots going out this week and the next!

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #531 on: February 03, 2014, 10:01:01 AM
Hi folks!

We're running a sale of some blemished items that we have in stock and ready to ship. Here are the things that we have left:

--One pair of Birch Orcas left for $425 (very slight blemish on the fronts of the cabinets, just a variance in color in the birch ply)
--Natural bamboo Orca Subwoofer with 100-watt Amplifier for $399 (pre-loved)
--Natural bamboo Orca Center Channel for $299 (only "blemished" in the sense that we've been using this in our demo space, it's otherwise in new condition)
--Various Bottlehead amp bases starting at $65

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/on-sale/

Contact us if you'd like more specific info or photos on any of the above.

Thanks!
Molly

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #532 on: February 28, 2014, 09:57:14 AM
Hi everyone,

We're announcing an upgraded model to our product line: the Orca Deluxe. These use 3/4" bamboo (upgraded from 1/2" ply), more intensive applications of our internal bracing method, and a wider, curved baffle. The Orca Deluxe has superior control, detailed upper bass, and even clearer high frequencies. The deluxe Orcas sound large, commanding, and calm, with excellent balance. We're now making Dungeness subwoofers in 3/4" bamboo ply to match as well. All come in Natural, Chocolate (a deeper version of the old caramelized), or Two-tone (Natural with Chocolate sides).

We are really proud of these speakers, which feel like the culmination of years of development for Clark on the compact fullrange design in tandem with the work on our Uni Feastrex cabinets. Locals should really stop by to have a listen.

Of course, there are a few options for existing Orca owners to upgrade to the new Deluxe cabinets. Write me at [email protected] if you're interested in exploring an upgrade. (If you happen to have a current order in you can also upgrade by paying the difference.)

We're still offering the Orca in birch, which we've dubbed the Orca Classic, at $499, and this is of course the standard for--and perfect entry point into--our sonic signature.

Read a bit more about the Orca Deluxe on our site (http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/orca-deluxe/) and feel free to give us a call or email with questions.
Thanks!

*Edit*
A quick clarification:
This offer to upgrade is for Orca Fullrange customers to upgrade to Orca Deluxe; our 30-day trade-in and exchange policy is otherwise still in place.

Molly

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:51:27 AM by Molly B »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #533 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44:54 PM
Nice! I really like the look of the two-tone option.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #534 on: February 28, 2014, 05:33:58 PM
Long years ago I did some theoretical analyses of generic speaker cabinets, and concluded it was nearly impossible to make a box with sufficiently thick walls to make the box inaudible - it could only be approached with a very small box and very thick walls made of stiff lightweight material, and even then some sophisticated bracing would be needed.  An Orca with 3/4" walls plus bracing has to be the closest approximation ever made. Kudos to Clark and Molly, this is great! I MUST hear these! I'll give you guys a buzz soon...

This analysis was confirmed in my mind some 5-8 years ago when we worked with the Magicos at Stubblebine's studio - they are pretty large but have 8-inch thick walls and weigh 500 pounds or thereabouts (just the woofer boxes). You could easily feel the vibrations in those walls even at moderate sound levels.

Paul Joppa

Offline xcortes

Reply #535 on: March 01, 2014, 04:06:14 AM
Awesome. Time to jump in!

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #536 on: March 01, 2014, 08:32:40 AM
Awesome. Time to jump in!

Let us know how they compare my friend!

Aaron Johnson

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #537 on: March 01, 2014, 09:10:24 AM
Love the look of those two tone cabinets very nice.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #538 on: March 01, 2014, 10:21:33 AM
Love the look of those two tone cabinets very nice.

Nice! I really like the look of the two-tone option.

Tip of the hat to PB for requesting a two-tone option for his own pair. We loved the look as well and figured we'd make it an option for everybody. PB's set were built out of 1/2" but for the Orca Deluxe it's full 3/4" all around. 

I MUST hear these! I'll give you guys a buzz soon...

Please do!

-Molly

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #539 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:25 AM
Ok, I'm in. That means that soon there may be a set of Nagas, subs and amps up for grabs -- just don't have the room in our media room for all those pieces. Too bad.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)