Please teach me about input transformers

Alonzo · 1484

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: November 14, 2014, 07:30:59 PM
So it's an odd time here, no amps being worked on while I save up for a Mainline (the DAC will have to wait, my Cayenne needs new coils...).  I have the Smash on order and wondered if instead of using attenuators on it, would it benefit from input transformers?  Also, what about using input transformers on SET's.  Would my 45 or my tweeter amp benefit from a pair of B7 10K:10K from MQ?  My sources are Turntables, SONOs and computer, so I have varied input ranges.  Would input transformers work for a wide range of inputs?
Thanks,
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:13:42 AM
10K input transformers will drag the input impedance way, way down.  It will also put a piece of iron in the signal path that you absolutely don't need.

If you want to add a balanced input, or run really long cables and need to break a ground loop, the input transformers will serve you well.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 03:46:56 PM
Ok, it was just an idea.  The Smash will only be a little over 8 feet from the amps so that won't be a problem.  It will be on a dampened shelf to cut down on the microphonics.  I would like to avoid in line attenuators that other people have had to use and thought using transformers at the amps input would isolate them from any grunge picked up. 
Probably should wait till I get them in and installed before inventing fixes for problems I don't have.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:21:58 PM
The use of inline attenuators is for the situation where a very high gain amp is used with efficient speakers.  If you have 99+ dB speakers and a 1000 Watt amp, the combination will be so hyper sensitive that the input of the amplifier will have to be padded.

If you had tapped transformers, you could use a pair of input transformers in the power amp as a means of reducing gain, but then you would end up reducing the input impedance of the power amp, which isn't a good thing. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline roscoe primrose

• Do I smell smoke?
    • DCAududioDIY
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:48:04 AM
If you had tapped transformers, you could use a pair of input transformers in the power amp as a means of reducing gain, but then you would end up reducing the input impedance of the power amp, which isn't a good thing. 

-PB

How do you figure that?  Using a tapped transformer to lower the level will lower the driving source impedance seen by the power amp, but will increase the input impedance seen by the driving stage by the square of the turns ratio between the full winding and the tap...

Roscoe

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 06:54:04 AM
While this is true, you may find it necessary to play with the loading on the transformer for optimal performance, which may end up negating the reflected impedance in the first place.

-PB
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:56:43 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland