PJCCS upgrade impressions....

earwaxxer · 2098

Offline earwaxxer

on: February 10, 2012, 05:05:10 PM
I am glad I didnt buy the PJCCS with the Quickie so I could get a good feel for the "stock" Quickie vs. the Quickie with PJCCS. Note - I did build my own Quickie from "boutique" components including tantalum resistors, Elna electrolytic caps, TKD pot, and Mundorf silver/oil coupling caps that did improve the sound as expected. I loved the stock Quickie. The only caveat I could hear would be in the area of improving distortion which was the PJCCS forte.

With the PJCCS - in as few words as possible - increased resolution, decreased distortion, hearing instruments that I didnt hear before - quite good for my detail oriented side. Not sure on the "tubiness" side. It sounded more like tube/solid state. I cranked it a bit and it also sounded quite good but my ears are a bit baked form high volume "sessions". On first blush - its a keeper. I would predict that it is probably the best $35 I have spent on a audio "tweak". If I spent $500 on an interconnect and it sounded this good I would be more than happy. Time will tell. For those on the fence - its a no brainer.

Bottom line - This Quickie is a hoot! - simple enough to play with the components (and tube rolling) to match your requirements.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:43 PM
I guess it would be a good time to respond to my own thread, since things have changed a bit, and got a bit more interesting in the process.

I have a vague memory of, some moons ago, using the quickie with 30V of power when I was charging my 45V pack. It seemed to lack a certain drive with the lower voltage. Of course not much time goes by before I start thinking of the 'next' tweak. I am well aware of the 'difference' effect, and am sad to admit that I am as much of a sucker as the next guy. It makes us all see crazy! So be it. Its my hobby and everyone who doesnt understand can go to hell!

Sorry -  onward. I originally bought (4) 14.8V Lipo packs from my favorite RC internet store. I only used 3 for the pack for the Quickie. My Quickie has been a happy camper for some months now, but that left one pack begging for some attention. I went back to Paul's post in "rechargable battery supplies". 67.5V max. Humm. I juiced the last pack and wired it in.

It measured 65V. I plugged it into the stock Quickie (no PJCCS) just in case there was an issue. It sounded quite good. I listened for an hour or so to get an impression, then subbed the upgraded Quickie with PJCCS back in. Something was different, in not such a good way. More gain with the PJCCS for sure. It was more than that though. Mids seemed to be easyer with the stock Quickie sans PJCCS. More there, easy-er on the ear. So this was a conundrum. Was the lower voltage with PJCCS better than higher voltage without?

So, I pulled the PJCCS out soldered the Tantalums back in and fired it up. The gain decrease was line with the stock Quickie. The 'magic' mids were also there. Music seemed to smooth out. The question is - is it because the distortion is back (euphonics)? If so, is that going to overall be a positive or negative. What about higher volume? Unknown because I wasnt in the mood for higher volumes. Not a good time to test.

So here I stand. Still happy. Still crazy (not that there is anything wrong with that). Hate to bring up the higher voltages again. It seems a bit of a Bottlehead no-no, but its my kit. I cant help it! From where I stand TODAY - Voltage is good. Comments?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline mortron

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:19 PM
I know next to nothing about electronics, so this is all speculation. Maybe the circuit is dependant on a load in or around that 36V or lower. Perhaps if the PJCCS were designed for the 65.7V you are supplying, the magic would also be present.... maybe even more magic??

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:00 AM
Hey Morton - I have that feeling as well. Maybe Paul can weigh in with some pearls of wisdom.

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:11 AM
I was thinking that the voltage you use might be too high for the PJCCS.  But the components used (and I don't know for sure what is used) are probably like those used in other CCS circuits.  That means they are capable to operate at much higher voltages like in the Eros.

Just saying, I thought about it and wonder about your outcome.  In my reading over the last 10+ years a CCS has always been found to be one of the biggest steps up possible.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback Granger...This is a strange hobby to be sure. Coming from the t-amp world, we are accustomed to getting best results from higher voltages (without frying chips that is). I couldnt resist with the tubes. Dont know, but listening to the Quickie now as I have since the change to 60+ volts, sans PJCCS. I'm diggin it. Call me crazy!

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:03 PM
The resistor load drops the output impedance to nearly half, compared to the CCS - that might well play a part. Other than that, if you would measure the tube voltages I can comment on the operating point.

Kudos to you for trying the higher voltage! You only learn something when you are surprised, after all.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:39:07 AM
Thanks Paul - I always learn a couple of things from your posts!

Eric