1st time DIYer - tales of my build - questions in 1st post

wullymc · 21549

Offline wullymc

Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 11:28:30 PM
I got my Crack yesterday!!! Yay!

Okay, first impressions of Customer Service.  Great!  Phoned 2 weeks ago and talked with Doc about my order and he was very nice and told me mine would be out in the next run.

When I opened the package everything was well wrapped and laid out.  The order form was there with a personalized Thank you.  Nice touch.  Oh yeah I shouldn't forget the chocolates (3 kisses).  My wife enjoyed those!

Printed the manual and started to get to work.  Even though I want to listen to it I want to go slow and make sure I do a good job.  Hopefully, this will avoid problems later!

The build is broken down into 3 parts.  1st part is securing the main components in order to start working on the wiring.  2nd part is laying out the wiring and soldering.  3rd is soldering in capacitors, transistors, etc.

3 manual is excellently laid out with very good details.  As I have stated I am definitely a level 1 builder, very novice but was able to get it done.   Now I have the top panel with all the parts attached.  Next the wiring!  I plan on doing 3 pages a day.

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!....

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Laudanum

Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 01:46:03 AM
Finally, the wait is over.  Good to hear you've got your kit.    I've always been impatient when it comes to waiting for things, that hasnt changed much with age   ;)
I have a bad neck so I, pretty much out of necessity, take my time on the builds.   Sounds like you have a good plan.  Be sure to check near the top of this forum page for a sticky with any corrections to the manual and make notes.  Im not positive but I think there are a couple for Crack. 

Ive always glued up the wood base first and done the sanding and staining.  Plus, painting the transformer bell cap.  Then I work on any finish (tung oil, poly or whatever) while doing the build.  Im not saying this is the way to do it, I just like the base ready to go when the amp is and the transfomer cap's paint good and dry.   Im lousy with schematics but good at following directions and those included with the Bottlehead kits couldnt be much better.  I've been competent with a soldering iron for a good while which is a plus.  But it's not rocket science, follow the soldering basics and Bottleheads directions for making a good wire/lead to terminal connection before you solder and you'll be fine.  One thing that isnt in the manual ... not necessary but I like to give the solder terminals on the tube sockets a quick wipe with some alcohol or cleaner that doesnt leave a residue.  I have had a few terminals in the past that didnt like to take the solder.  Probably left over oil or residue during manufacture.   Again, not necessary but cant hurt, or just keep in mind if you run into one where the solder doesnt seem to want to "stick". 

Enjoy the process!  Im sure it will go fine and you'll have it running in no time.

Desmond G.

Offline debk

Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 04:00:59 AM
Have fun building it!
While I don't live in Canada, I am not that far from Ottawa.  I am in Watertown, NY a couple of hours away.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline SteveH

Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 04:20:47 AM
Great news!  Can't wait to hear the rest of your build story.  Maybe when you're done we can get together so I can hear it???  (Hint, hint!  ;D )  I'll even bring some beverages...

Did you have any issues with customs on the kit?  It seems to be hit and miss as to when charges are levied these days.

SteveH (in Kanata)

Offline wullymc

Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:25 AM
thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

SteveH, for sure we'll get together and you can hear it.  As for customs it wasn't bad.  I ended up paying $45.77 in total.  $8.50 was a handling fee (I guess an inspection fee) and the rest was 13% HST.  It came via USPS so no big brokerage fees! 

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline mchurch

Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:12 AM
Dave;

I got your message today so I will be getting back to you shortly. Glad everything came through ok, $45.00 sounds about right for most of what I have been bringing in. USPS to Canada Post seems to be the best way to go and when you are importing a "kit" the duties are usually minimal.

Debra;

It looks like we might have the beginnings of Borders area Bottlehead Fan group!!! I've been in Watertown quite often in the past.

Cheers;

Mike

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 05:32:41 AM
Hey Dave,

Congrats, and just follow your plan to do it in small, manageable bits, redo any solder joints that are suspect when you complete them and you should have a trouble-free checkout.

Of course you know you will need more kits in the future :-).

Keep us up to date,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline wullymc

Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 05:00:32 PM
I think everything is going well so far!

I have probably read the manual about 10 times now.  I have been working on about 3 pages a night.  AT this rate I should be finished by the weekend!  Then the scary part ....testing voltages!!!

So far things have been going well.  The manual is excellent.  If I don't really get what I am reading or am wondering all I have to do is look to the accompanying photo beside it!  ....maybe I shouldn't be saying too much...don't want to jinx it!

I have finished staining the wood.  I just used Varathane Diamond showing the natural alder.  I also have placed the Bottlehead badge on.  The instructions for the assembly of the wood case are excellent.  I would have never thought to tape the pieces and flip them and glue.  I would have done them one at a time while trying to figure out how to hold them together while cursing!

The hardest part so far for me has been the connection and soldering of the inboard terminal of the potentiometer closest to the chassis plate.  it was really a tight fit for my soldering iron.  I am afraid that I burnt part of a sleeve of another wire but no exposed wire is showing!...opppps

Also, I have noticed that on page 18 it says to attach but do not solder to B7L and B8L but cannot find anywhere later in the manual that these spots should be soldered.  Is that correct?

thanks for reading!...stay tuned ....now onto the leds....at page 23!

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:09 PM
Dave,

If I'm remembering correctly, b7 and 8 are the heater terminals, and yes, at some point you will be connecting extensions to those wires to go to the driver tube.

I don't have my notes in front of me so I can't verify these, but I think they are right.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:02 AM
B7L & B8L should get soldered. You are correct that they don't pop up again in the manual. I'll add these terminals to my list of needed revisions.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline wullymc

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 04:30:37 PM
Great thanks Jim and Joshua.

I will add that to my next job of soldering.  Having fun! :)

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline wullymc

Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 05:40:17 PM
Well I finished the build! Yay!......but...

Measured the resistance and got the following:

Terminal                 Resistance                Should be - Manual

1                                 1                                   *
2                                 1                                   *
3                                 0 ohms                           0 ohms
4                                 1                                   *
5                                 1                                   *
6                                 2.4k ohms                      2.4k ohms
7                                 2.8k ohms                      2.9k ohms
8                                 0 ohms                          0 ohms
9                                 2.8k ohms                      2.9k ohms
10                               2.4k ohms                      2.4k ohms
12                               1                                   0 ohms
13                               1                                   * will climb slowly toward 270k ohms
14                               1                                   0 ohms
20                               1                                   0 ohms
22                               0 ohms                          0 ohms

B3                               2.8k ohms                     2.9k ohms
B6                               2.8k ohms                     2.9k ohms

RCA jacks:
Ground                         0 ohms                         0 ohms
Center pin                     95k ohms                      90k ohms - 100k ohms

In the manual it says to use terminal 12 for ground, however I get a 1 ohm on that terminal.  If I use terminal 12 I don't get any readings other than 1 for anything.  For example when I have the black on 12 and test B3 or B6 I get 1.

It doesn't look good eh?  When mention Terminal 12 is that 12U or 12L or does it matter?

.....feeling discouraged.  Maybe I should have just paid the $150 fee for making one and just said that I did it :(

I am currently looking at my connections but am having a tough time deciding which ones are good.  I think I may have a problem with 14U.  There are 4 wires there and I am not confident about the solder job.

I would say the toughest parts with the soldering were 14U, 15U.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:35:44 PM by wullymc »

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 07:11:56 PM
Quickly glancing at the manual, it doesn't look that bad. The terminals with an asterisk are going to vary from meter to meter, and it seems that your meter is just reading those as 1Ω. 14 and 20 are a little odd since they should be zeroed, but they are jumpered together, so my brain is thinking that it's a good thing they at least read the same. One other thing to bear in mind is that your probes will have some resistance of their own. If you hold the two together, what does your meter read? Remember to subtract that out when you're making very low readings (I know my meter reads about 0.7Ω, so if I see that, I'm really seeing zero). Most of your readings are within the 10-15% ballpark, which is good!

It doesn't matter where you make the reading on a terminal, they will read the same U or L since it's a solid chunk of metal.

Re: 14U, those big caps can be a bit finicky about being attached to terminal strips (and they really hate being hooked up backwards... trust me on that!). If your joint looks bad enough that you're questioning it, it might be worth clearing it off and re-soldering. The good news is with four things jammed in the terminal, you're probably making pretty good physical contact.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline wullymc

Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 11:44:09 PM
Thanks Joshua

I really appreciate your help.

I have edited my post 2 up.  I get 1 ohms when touching terminal 12 and it should be a ground so that I can take readings but I don't pull any readings if I use it as ground.  I used the RCA ground for my readings.    I put my DMM red and black together and I get a 1.

I am concerned with the terminals should have a *.  In the manual I states that terminals that have a * "should wander in the tens to hundreds of Kohms or higher range.  What you want to watch out for is a zero reading which would indicate that something is mis-wired."

I would hate to continue to the voltage taking and really mess something up.

Take care...Dave
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:46:41 PM by wullymc »

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:27 AM
Dave,

If when you touch your meter leads together you get 1 ohm, you are measuring your meter lead resistance.  That should be considered zero ohms.

Is your meter one where you select the resistance range or does it "autorange?"  This can make a difference if you have to select the range.

The terminals with * usually are either high resistance or connected to a capacitor that will charge ending with a very high reading.  Some meters will say "OL" some will say "HI" some will read "--".  The problem is that different meter manufacturers give different indications.

These * terminals are not critical that you get a definite reading.  But, as mentioned earlier, the power supply capacitors will be ruined if put in backward.  The diodes are another thing to triple check.

Terminal 12 is the power supply ground, as are almost all of the terminals you get a reading of 1 on.  T12 should give you good resistance readings and should be grounded to the chassis at terminal 3.  I had to look through the manual quite a bit to find the grounding point.  Maybe try your meter grounded at T3 and consider 1 ohm zero ohms.

Look in your manual at page 22, the middle picture.  There is a black wire that ties all the audio signal grounds and power supply grounds to terminal 3.  If it is not properly soldered you don't get ground on anything else.  Measure resistance from the lug with the black wire on it (in the manual, I don't know if you have the same wire in the kit) to the chassis.  It should be near zero ohms.

I am pretty sure your grounding problems are here.

FYI, the circuit common/ground starts at the top plate at terminal 3, goes to volume pot left hand lugs (as you look at it while assembling), to the 1/4" headphone jack lugs closest to the top plate, to T12, to T14, to T20.  It may seem to jump all over the place but it is one nice clean sweep from T20, the power supply grounding point to the RCA Jacks outer conductor brought to the volume pot.

Every one of these terminals get their ground at T3.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:40:12 PM by Grainger49 »