Bottlehead Kits > Smack

Smack channel imbalance. [resolved]

<< < (2/2)

Paul Birkeland:
Thankfully the impedance switching board tells you what transformer terminal number each wire needs to go to, so you can double check that wiring without the manual. 

-PB

loudneighbor:
All The wires match the corresponding taps on the transformers, I reflowed some lees than beautiful solder joints on that board, but still have the same results, If that second switch is in the lo position it sounds fine, once it goes to hi in any combo the imbalance comes back. I Know enough of electronics to do some very basic trouble shooting and not kill myself.

I do have to say while the HD800s are pretty underpowered for my liking the Monolith M570 sound absolutely amazing.

Paul Joppa:

--- Quote from: loudneighbor on December 18, 2023, 05:53:46 PM --- ...  If that second switch is in the lo position it sounds fine, once it goes to hi in any combo the imbalance comes back.  ...

--- End quote ---
That second switch selects whether the two secondaries are in series or in parallel, and it also shorts out the resistors. If one of the resistors is not shorted (or not soldered) when switched to high impedance, it will be in series, reducing HP output by several dB. If you have some good contact cleaner, I'd give that a shot. In any case, look closely at the switch and resistor soldering.

Posting late at night, so take the above with a grain of salt  :^)

loudneighbor:
Cleaned the switch with some deoxit and the problem has vanished!!!!! Thank you kindly.

Paul Joppa:
I'm glad to hear that! Enjoy ... :^)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version