Stuck nut, stripped bolt

davechen · 2033

Offline davechen

• about.me/dtchen
on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:27 PM
I was working on attaching a regulator to a heat sink for one of the filament regulator boards.  The nut seems to be stuck, and I've stripped the bolt pretty badly.  Any advice for getting the bolt off?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:43 PM
A small set of bolt cutters can usually nibble through those.

A 4-40 screw and nut are needed for replacement.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:34:30 AM
First, the title made me laugh.  It sounds like a personal problem.

Now, seriously, I immediately thought of a bolt cutter.  PB agrees.  If necessary the heat sink and regulator is not that much cash. 

Trust me, we all have cross threaded things in the past.  Most, er... many of us learn from it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:29:17 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline davechen

• about.me/dtchen
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:14:46 AM
With the bolt down in the middle of the heat sink, I don't know if I can get in there with a mini bolt cutter.  I'll see if I can borrow one and try to cut the bolt.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:44:27 AM
Hi I wonder if this suggestion might be of help.

Is the bolt tight on the part or is it seized with some movement still to it? If its seized while not really tight then you would be able to carry on tightening it and should not be hard with a little force to shear the bolt leaving the connecting parts undamaged a small socket one side and a screwdriver should do the trick you might need to use a small adjustable spanner on the screwdriver to help with holding it still while you turn the socket.

I am speculating on this method and would suggest confirmation from Paul or Dan prior to trying but the bolt should shear without to much effort as they are quiet small and made of soft metal if similar to those found on my speedball.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:46:26 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:26:23 AM
I would go after it with a Dremel and a cut off wheel. Well, these days I would probably ask PB to do it for me. Saving my thread bashing strength for the busted bolts on my motorcycle project...man am I sore from lying on my back on a concrete floor running a drill into a cylinder head this weekend. At least you don't have to raise one of our kits on a jack and lie on your back in the cold to work on it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline davechen

• about.me/dtchen
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:12:35 AM
Just to give an update, I got me a Dremel tool and got the nut and bolt off.  Because it was down in the heat sink, I couldn't cut the bolt.  Instead, I used the Dremel to cut across the face of the bolt.  Just kept hacking at it til it came off.  Yay power tools!  ;D

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:17 AM
You will love all the things a Dremel tool can do.

A great MANLY tool.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:25:17 AM by Grainger49 »