Practice Project

WK3K · 1829

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
on: February 27, 2014, 12:12:43 PM
Howdy all,

First off, I'm totally new to soldering. Was going to order this soldering iron that Doc recommended (http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=113578) and while I was cruising around the Apogee site I found that they had a number of small electronics kits by Velleman and others. I was thinking of purchasing one or two of these things to get a little practice in before I start my Quickie. Does anyone have other recommendations for cheap starter kits that I won't mind ruining to help me get my feet wet, or will these give me a good taste of what I'm in for: http://www.apogeekits.com/mini-kits/electronic_mini_kits.htm

Thanks as always.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:19 PM
If you don't know for sure that you will enjoy building electronics that iron is good because it is a relatively small expense. If you plan to do a lot more soldering in the future get a bigger station like a Hakko.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:14 PM
Thanks big D. Just got a shipping notification for the quickie today, so I bought the soldering station - apogee had some scratch and dents for around $10, so if it turns out I'm terrible at this, no big loss! I also picked a few small pcb projects to practice soldering on. Let the journey begin!

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX