Learning resources (Basic Electronics + Tube Circuits)

Happy Ghost · 627

Offline Happy Ghost

on: December 17, 2019, 06:45:25 PM
Hi All,

I am a serious DIY-er with strong interests in headphone amps. I have built quite a few (last one was a Crack+SB combo). Building and listening to quite a few amps has made me very curious about basic electronics and eventually I want to work my way up to at least appreciating more of the tube circuits designs (theory/design features etc). Could someone point me to a good book? I've a decent grasp of maths and calculus. So I dont mind somewhat "dense" literature.

Thanks in advance!
Atul

Atul

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:03 PM
NEETS is one that is strongly recommended:

https://www.fcctests.com/neets/Neets.htm

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tom-s

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 07:27:14 PM
When Englisch isn't your mother tongue it can help to find your local historic radio club.
Clubs like these usually have very good studying material from the 1930's-1960's on electronics/tubes.

Deke609

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 06:48:24 AM
+1 for the NEETS materials.

And since you are comfortable with mathematics, you might want to take a peek at RCA's classic "Radiotron Designer's Handbook" which is free to download: http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/intro_RDH4.pdf

Also check out Morgan Jones, Valve Amplifiers and the texts by Martin Blencowe.

I'm still very much a beginner, but like you, I want to learn as much as I can about audio circuits and design. To that end, I find the following two texts that deal generally with electronics very helpful, especially with circuit theory:

Paul Sherz and Simon Monk, Practical Electronics for Inventors

Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, The Art of Electronics

cheers, derek

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 04:40:44 PM
Another +1 for NEETS, it's a great resource and I should probably go back and reread a few chapters.

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!