Best $31 upgrade I have made

isldkid · 1615

Offline isldkid

on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:34 AM
Hi all, am listening to my speedball crack, with a Vintage Audio Lab 23 step 100k ladder pot.
Install was very straight forward, with just an enlarged shaft hole and relocated hole on one board.
No soldering was required on the pot because it has a screw type wire buss. Just make sure the wires are screwed down securely, especially if you jumper the ground connections with more than one wire in a location.
The mids to higher frequencies got a little smoother with no loss of detail. The low end has a little more impact, this makes listening to the Crack a bit more enjoyable.
$31 dollars shipped to my door makes this mod worthwhile and very cost effective, I highly recommend it.
As good as the crack now sounds it still has a ways to go to match my Mainline.
Francis

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:44 AM
That's good to know, my Valab is waiting to be fitted here also, as well a Alps Blue pot which I might try first.

How many of the steps are you using for normal listening?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline isldkid

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:23 PM
Jamie,
Right now four steps twelve through fifteen with steps thirteen and fourteen being the most used.
This range seems adequate enough to cover both of my headphones, a B&W P-5 and the HD-800.
My source right at the moment is the IPad with redbook cd quality, am waiting to see what Doc has in store with his DAC before progressing to the higher res stuff.
Also I should get off my backside and bring my Linn, Shelter 9000 front end up and running again.
Francis

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:25 AM
Thanks Francis I am listening to mine I fitted it after I came in from work today. I will post some thoughts and a few pics later on. My initial thoughts are inline with yours.

Cheers

Jamie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:04:25 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline isldkid

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:39:12 PM
Jamie,you are welcome. I kind of thought you would be happy with the Varalab, there is a little difference in the one that was sent to me, it had a screw type wire buss, that required no soldering.
Also that was an excellent review.
Francis