Transformer going hot, and making a noise

lups1 · 1379

Offline lups1

on: January 16, 2014, 05:03:42 AM
So I finished my crack , measured all the Impedances and they look perfect ,maybe except for the RCA Jacks which show 106 KOhm not 90-100. But when I turned the crack on , the Tranformer is loud, and gets really hot in few seconds. I might add that the firs Fuse was blown and as I had only one 1/2A fuse Ive put in a 2A one which doesnt get blown. The tubes dont start glowing. I Think that the orientation of the Transformer is fine , Ill add a picture. Has anyone encountered a similiar problem?

Offline ffivaz

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:15:02 AM
I would check that your rectifier diodes (UF4007, p. 27 of the manual) are correctly oriented, in the correct terminals and that they are not shorted or fried. It is difficult to see from your picture.

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:04 AM
I'd start by moving that twisted pair of wires from power transformer terminals 4/5 down under everything else.

Then, go back to the manual and rework your Crack until it looks as close to the manual as possible. 

I think Ffivaz is most likely correct.  The fuse will blow and the power transformer will vibrate because there's a huge load on it.  In your case, I believe you have a short in the amplifier, or a backwards diode.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:50:02 AM
You should also trim the excess wire that is coming through a lot of the transformer terminals. Some are so long that they could short to a neighboring terminal. As PB says, try to emulate the look of the amp photographs in the manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline lups1

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:12 PM
Oh god , I really did have the uf4007 misoriented...Im more then sure that I double checked for that;D Thank you guys , now everything looks fine , I only have to do the voltage tests now.