Identifying Supplied Parts

JosephDuffy · 10315

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:06 PM
I've done my resistance checks and everything (bar 3, which I identified and fixed) are good, so at least that's something.

However, I managed to lean the soldering iron on one of the 1.5uF 630V capacitors. This seems to have not changed the resistance (which I wouldn't think it would), but I don't want to do the voltage checks with this in place, without prior approval.

I found one Amazon that seems to have the same specification. If I need to buy a new one, will this one on Amazon do?

Please excuse my stupidity. I'm sure I'll be finished soon enough :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:51:31 PM by JosephDuffy »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

Finally, for the voltages on page 39, I'm in the UK and have 240V mains, so will I have to adjust any of the readings here, or does the transformer mean that I shouldn't have to alter anything on this page?

They should all be the same with some variation.  For example where i am i get 230v during the day, and 240v after midnight so the actual readings will vary depending on when i test them.

I got mine up and running this evening (while getting 240v) and most of the voltages are pretty much spot on from the list. I would be interested to hear what you got for A5,B5,C4,C5 as they differed the most from the specs on mine.

I don't know about you but seeing 400v DC on the multimeter gives me the willies!

Have fun,

Mark

M.McCandless

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:16 PM
Joseph - send me a PM with where you're located. I just built a S.E.X. and never installed the stock Solen 1.5uF caps. I'd be happy to send you one of mine as an identical replacement for free + shipping, unless it's somehow cheaper to source a new one.

I'm not sure the cap you linked is a great idea. In this position the cap matters somewhat, and you want there to be symmetry between the channels. If you want an identical replacement part, this Amazon link is for a Solen 1.5uF 630V cap - exactly what Bottlehead ships. It might be cheaper to get one of those than to have me send it, depending on where you're located!

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:17 PM
Joseph - send me a PM with where you're located. I just built a S.E.X. and never installed the stock Solen 1.5uF caps. I'd be happy to send you one of mine as an identical replacement for free + shipping, unless it's somehow cheaper to source a new one.

I'm not sure the cap you linked is a great idea. In this position the cap matters somewhat, and you want there to be symmetry between the channels. If you want an identical replacement part, this Amazon link is for a Solen 1.5uF 630V cap - exactly what Bottlehead ships. It might be cheaper to get one of those than to have me send it, depending on where you're located!

I'm in the UK, so I am unable to purchase those from Amazon. I also found the same ones on eBay, but again, delivery was an issue. The ones on Amazon that I linked are the closest I can find in the UK. Thanks for the help though and I'll keep searching!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:14 PM
I believe you might find replacements from HiFiCollective. 

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 03:56:12 AM
Found this source http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solen-PPE-1-5uF-630V-polypropylene-capacitors-condensatori-polipropilene-2pcs-/261109756023?pt=Componenti_elettronici_passivi&hash=item3ccb5ab077 for condensatori from Italia ;)

I'd wait and let the BH guys confirm they are 100% correct before ordering..

M.McCandless

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 05:25:18 AM
Found this source http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solen-PPE-1-5uF-630V-polypropylene-capacitors-condensatori-polipropilene-2pcs-/261109756023?pt=Componenti_elettronici_passivi&hash=item3ccb5ab077 for condensatori from Italia ;)

I'd wait and let the BH guys confirm they are 100% correct before ordering..

Thank you for that! I was just about to post that my Googlefu has been all used up and I was going to have to get some from the US (with a minimum order of $20 + $20 postage).

Hopefully a BH guy will confirm that these are correct and I can fix my stupid mistake!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 05:36:36 AM
Yes, that will work fine. If you post a photo of the damage we might be able to give an educated guess about whether it needs to be replaced. Basically if you just hit the outer covering it's probably OK. But if it melted enough that you see the insides at the point of damage it probably needs replacement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:39:01 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:17 AM
Yes, that will work fine.

Great, ordered, thanks again for all the help!

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 06:08:00 AM
Yes, that will work fine. If you post a photo of the damage we might be able to give an educated guess about whether it needs to be replaced. Basically if you just hit the outer covering it's probably OK. But if it melted enough that you see the insides at the point of damage it probably needs replacement.

I edited my post above but I guess it wasn't noticed. It's fairly deep: Image of damage

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 06:23:25 AM
Sorry, didn't see it. That sucker is trashed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 06:38:03 AM
Sorry, didn't see it. That sucker is trashed.

Yep, it's pretty darn dead. Managed to knock the other one, too (though not as bad).

I've ordered 2 pairs so I've got a few shots at it, just in case I manage to mess up again. Hopefully not! Nothing else looks like it's been attacked with a soldering iron though so hopefully it'll be all good after I replace these :)

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 02:34:41 PM
Just to put my mind at rest for when they do arrive, I want to make sure I'm being safe/proper with my multimeter. I've got the black on COM port and red in the fused 600V port. The dial is set to the 600V DC setting. See photo for clarification.

I also want to get a crocodile clip for the sake of safety/keeping things easy for myself. I tried to make sure that they were rated for high enough voltage, and these ones on eBay look like they'd do the trick? I'm guessing it'd be better to have the clips on both leads so I can put the clips on both terminals and then move to look at the reading without worrying about knocking things/removing the probe from the terminal.

Again, thanks for everything. Can't wait to actually use the amp! :)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 03:49:23 PM
Looks perfect!

The voltage rating on clip leads is going a little over the top, especially if you just use one on the ground lead.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:30:57 AM
Sorry for surfacing an old thread, but I just recieved my capacitors and I wanted to double check they were correct. They look exactly the same, but the new one a little bit bigger, and has "France -12" rather than "France -13". I'm hoping the number is just the physical size, and I should be ok? I've tried taking some photos of them, but I can't get it to look clear without the flash, which means it's a little dark.
Here's the image
I'll solder the new ones on now (if not just for the practice :P) and then I'll do my tests if it gets confirmed that these are the same/safe.
Thanks again for everyone's help!