Glad this kit is coming back!

physicsmajor · 8656

Offline physicsmajor

on: October 21, 2016, 07:40:33 PM
So will the new kit be S.E.X. version 2.2, or turning over a new number to 3.0?  Exciting!  This was a really awesome kit, I'm glad it'll be back in the stable - not least so I can recommend it.

I wondered if you'd just move to the 6FJ7 compactron version with minimal wiring changes, though the layout and allusions to a 'surprise tube' in the email makes it seem like more may be afoot.

Offline Joshewah

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:36:59 AM
Doc, is there a timeframe for when more details will be released?

I was about to the pull the trigger on a SEX around the time that it was announced it would be discontinued and I still have an itchy trigger finger.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:02:16 AM
We will have more info available soon. It's the 99% the same circuit as the previous version, with a different tube and a better layout that makes the build easier. There is a small change in the heater supply that brings the noise floor down from that of the previous version.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:37:14 PM
Cool, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love my S.E.X. Amps. I'm curios to hear how the sound of the new tube compares with the 6DN7.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:50:24 PM
If it's 99% the same then it should be easy enough to convert the 2.1 to the new tube if you wanted to. That's what the SEX is all about right? I'm curious about the tube too. The old page specified that it was easy to mod it to use 6EM7/6EA7 tubes.

My modded SEX is my go to amp at the moment.  It's a wonderful amp and I'm excited for the latest update!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Nathan

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 04:31:38 AM
If I may be so bold enough as to guess, I'm thinking the 99% same circuit means that now we will see a pair of additional 100 ohm resistors in the heater supply. I already did that on my SEX, and I found it a worthwhile improvement to the point I was curious why it not had already been implemented.

Next I'm thinking the tube change is likely related to ease of availability - 6DN7's aren't a "dime a dozen" any more

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 04:37:38 AM
Anyone who comes to the DIY meet today will be able see for themselves what tube we plan to use. We'll have the prototype that was built for the manual available to inspect.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:06:52 AM
Recap post by Doc B. says it is the 6FJ7, but also notes it's got a significantly lower noise floor than the current S.E.X.

I'm curious about the changes to the circuit (or perhaps just the layout?) to achieve this.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 05:30:03 AM
After I finished building the second 6FJ7 SEX amp, and verified that the chassis plate layout would work as intended, I spent a lot of time trying different configurations of heater grounding and measuring the noise level with each of them. 

The layout had to change to accommodate different heater rectifier diodes, along with the new universal power transformer.  There is now much more room for larger parallel feed capacitors as well, as those buggers get pretty huge.   

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 06:55:09 AM
That is great to hear as i always found mine a fantastic pairing with sensitive cans like Grados, but could never recommend one as the stock kit wasn't quiet enough.  Glad to see the kit coming back :)

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42:24 AM
After I finished building the second 6FJ7 SEX amp, and verified that the chassis plate layout would work as intended, I spent a lot of time trying different configurations of heater grounding and measuring the noise level with each of them. 

The layout had to change to accommodate different heater rectifier diodes, along with the new universal power transformer.  There is now much more room for larger parallel feed capacitors as well, as those buggers get pretty huge.   

-PB

Neat I'm looking forward to seeing the new lay out in the flesh. Can I ask if the uf values and voltage ratings for the parallel feed and interstage capacitors are similar to those used in the Sex?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:56:46 AM
Yes, of course. The 6FJ7 is a 6DN7 structure in a different envelope. So the circuit is going to be the same. To reiterate - different tube pinout, universal transformer, better layout and manual, slightly different heater connection and quieter operation because of it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sbelyo

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 04:33:24 AM
Could the new heater circuit and parts be retrofitted into the 2.1?

Offline Todd R

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:55 PM
I know it will be quieter which is a great thing.
Does the sound quality change much from the prior version?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:21 PM
It sounds essentially the same except that it is more quiet and hence has little better resolution.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.