Glad this kit is coming back!

physicsmajor · 8656

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 01:15:33 PM
I would strongly recommend installing the C4S before changing out the 0.1uF interstage coupling caps. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 04:48:06 PM
I would strongly recommend installing the C4S before changing out the 0.1uF interstage coupling caps. 

-PB

I'm a little bit confused. Can you expand on that a little please?

Offline Adrian

Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 11:19:42 PM

-PB
I do not currently have plans to touch the interstage 0.1 uf cap only the 1.5uf parafeed output cap.  So, I'm assuming changing the parafeed cap before the installation of the C4S when it becomes available is OK (I'm thinking positioning/location, considering I don't choose some gigantic size cap!).

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:05 AM
Quick question about the new SEX, and BH amps in general...is it OK to operate the amp long term with the chassis plate in a vertical position?

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 05:55:40 AM
Yes to the SEX kit. Indirectly heated tubes can be oriented on their side.

Maybe to the DHT amps. It depends upon how the tube filament is oriented. It needs to be vertical. If it is horizontal there is a slight possibility of it sagging and hitting the grid.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 10:03:49 AM
Thanks Doc!

Bernie Zitomer

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:08 PM
(asking about recommending install of C4s before changing out caps)
I'm a little bit confused. Can you expand on that a little please?

The reason is that the C4s provides a material upgrade to the sound, so you should strongly consider applying the upgrade(s) to the stock kit, hearing the differences, and then if you still want to tweak go after the caps/resistors.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:54 AM
While there is plenty of room in the new kit for cap upgrades, the C4S kit will occupy a little bit of space that you might be tempted to use for larger interstage coupling caps. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 02:54:48 PM
While there is plenty of room in the new kit for cap upgrades, the C4S kit will occupy a little bit of space that you might be tempted to use for larger interstage coupling caps.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 10:33:01 AM
I'm in. You have my pre-order and I threw in a Stereomour II shunt regulator upgrade for good measure.  :)

When people come over to my house and they hear the S.E.X. amp they want one (and a set of Orca's). I've purchased two S.E.X. amps directly from Bottlehead and two used, unassembled kits from private parties in the past. I only have one left. Thats gotta tell you something. Keep up the good work, Bottlehead! You guys rock.

Tom AKA "Natural Sound" in Albuquerque.

Just got UPS tracking info.  ;D

Offline Adrian

Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 03:05:03 PM
Just received my S.E.X. 3.0 via UPS!
I already have a 2.1 version w/C4S in the living room listening area and wanted another S.E.X. on my desk.

The kit came with two different brands of 6FJ7:  GE and Sylvania

I am currently sourcing additional 6FJ7s and what to have pairs of the same maunfacturer.
I would not be surprised to hear that GE, RCA, and perhaps Sylvania 6FJ7s are all made by the same manufacturer (probably GE).
I really don't expect any substantial sonic differences but I would like to have tubes with the same markings (if not only for appearance).

I remember reading in this forum that a given manufacturer of the 6DN7 tubes for the earlier S.E.X. versions should not be mixed with another manufacturer.
Can this be said for the 6FJ7 as well?

Just curious. 

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 04:04:49 PM
I don't know who said not to mix 6DN7s, but that's rubbish. They all run the same in the old amp and it won't hurt anything except a case of OCD. Ditto 6FJ7s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
Doc B

This is where I got the idea of not mixing brands of 6DN7s:

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6795.msg82645#msg82645

I used different brands of 6DN7s before.
Anyway, I may struggle against my OCD concerning matching brands!
How it sounds is what really matters.

Adrian C.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 06:56:45 AM
Tubes are matched by manufacturer and structure. Branding is separate from manufacturer. Both tubes were made by GE. Look for the permanent dots that GE etched on the glass on all tubes they made. Also I will bet that the plate structures are the same (grey, black, or one grey one black), because your tubes were hand matched, by me.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Adrian

Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 07:31:01 AM
Thanks, Josh ... learning everyday!

Adrian C.