Output Capacitor Upgrading Questions

jrihs · 131638

Offline Grainger49

Reply #105 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:55 AM
Here's a question for the technically minded:

Is it possible to use Metallised Film caps (polyester or polypropylene) to completely replace polarised electroes in PS caps of an amp like the Crack ?
What would be the PROs & CONs of doing this ? Any actual advantage to the film caps ?

Here's a CON:  Size.

Didn't old low power tube amps use PIO in PS ? They aren't polarised are they ?

Not very practical, but I'm just interested to know.

Cheers,

John

That is a good question for a thread in Technical Topics.  You just edit your post with a link here.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #106 on: February 11, 2012, 06:55:08 AM
Here's a question for the technically minded:

Is it possible to use Metallised Film caps (polyester or polypropylene) to completely replace polarised electroes in PS caps of an amp like the Crack ?
What would be the PROs & CONs of doing this ? Any actual advantage to the film caps ?

Here's a CON:  Size.

Didn't old low power tube amps use PIO in PS ? They aren't polarised are they ?

Not very practical, but I'm just interested to know.

Cheers,

John
Yes it is technically possible, and preferable. Film caps are more reliable and have much longer lives, as well as sounding better. Most popular on the forums are so-called "motor run" caps, but other types are available and as long as the ratings are suitable would work well. Because they are large and expensive, it is most economical to replace the resistors in the power supply filter with chokes. But the last cap in the power supply is effectively in series with the output cap, so it should be at least as big and preferably bigger, as well as being of similar quality.

Paul Joppa

Raksasa

Reply #107 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:13 AM
Thanks for the response, Paul.

I started a thread re this, as per Grainger's request, here in technical topics:  http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2614.msg21206.html#msg21206

John

Offline pkb

• www.patrickbarter.com
Reply #108 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
After reading this thread, I decided to try something along the lines of bypassing the output caps with some smaller .047uf caps I had lying around. I had the Sprague Orange Drop polypropylene film and foil caps sitting around from when I was working on guitar amps.

With aligator clip leads, I clipped them in and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, etc., and THINK I may have been noticing a difference. When I tried to pinpoint that difference, it went away. When I let my imagination go, I'd imagine I was hearing more space and clarity in the higher registers.

I know this is relatively ghetto compared to all the fancy caps y'all are talking about, and what I'm doing may or may not improve or even change the sound, but my question is this: how etheric and/or poetic are these differences y'all are hearing? If you're not A/B'ing the caps with the same audio (even same passage), same source, same volume, same phones, same ambient room, etc., how on earth do you know what you're hearing?

I want to get on this bandwagon, but I want to do so with a minimum of pretending to hear stuff.

I'm sure this post merits at least 10 flames, but I am being honest. It's not the Emperor's New Cloths situation I'm wary of, but rather I'm expressing a genuine interest in learning what to listen for and how.

My background: I've been a working musician, spent lots of time in recording studios on both sides of the glass, had too much musical education, and am generally good at hearing stuff.

This is all very fun. I'm going to solder in those Orange Drops and keep pretending--and enjoy my first "mod".  

-Patrick
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:55:18 AM by pkb »

Everything can be reduced to sound.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #109 on: February 12, 2012, 11:58:08 AM
After reading this thread, I decided to try something along the lines of bypassing the output caps with some smaller .047uf caps I had lying around. I had the Sprague Orange Drop polypropylene film and foil caps sitting around from when I was working on guitar amps.

With aligator clip leads, I clipped them in and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, etc., and THINK I may have been noticing a difference. When I tried to pinpoint that difference, it went away. When I let my imagination go, I'd imagine I was hearing more space and clarity in the higher registers.

I know this is relatively ghetto compared to all the fancy caps y'all are talking about, and what I'm doing may or may not improve or even change the sound, but my question is this: how etheric and/or poetic are these differences y'all are hearing? If you're not A/B'ing the caps with the same audio (even same passage), same source, same volume, same phones, same ambient room, etc., how on earth do you know what you're hearing?

I want to get on this bandwagon, but I want to do so with a minimum of pretending to hear stuff.

I'm sure this post merits at least 10 flames, but I am being honest. It's not the Emperor's New Cloths situation I'm wary of, but rather I'm expressing a genuine interest in learning what to listen for and how.

My background: I've been a working musician, spent lots of time in recording studios on both sides of the glass, had too much musical education, and am generally good at hearing stuff.

This is all very fun. I'm going to solder in those Orange Drops and keep pretending--and enjoy my first "mod".  

-Patrick

Hi Patrick - I cant agree with you more! A healthy dose of skepticism is the best way to approach this hobby. I have not spent a ton of money on equipment. Not that I dont have it, its the principle behind it. I want to have a personal relationship with my gear as do most if not all Bottlehead fans.

With that said, I do subscribe to the audiophile axiom (not mine by the way) -  "everything makes a difference". Tweaks and kit that are priced in the stratosphere deserve much more skepticism than those of moderate, affordable price.  I have read numerous "reviews" of ridiculously high priced v-caps for example. Many of them gushingly positive. I still will never buy one because I dont believe they could possibly be a smart "value" compared to alternatives. That doesnt mean that it is "unwise" to spend significant coin on caps.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #110 on: February 12, 2012, 03:57:03 PM
I have found that often, when a difference is subtle, I have to distract my attention so the old subconscious reptile brain can have a listen. I've even left the room and started a conversation in an adjacent room, only to realize five minutes later that - you know, that last change is really working for me.

Paul Joppa

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #111 on: February 12, 2012, 04:25:41 PM
Patrick, you are right on with everything except for expecting flames.  The experience of listening to music is a different experience for everyone.  It's a brain/ear thing and everyone has a different combination of those things.  What one person perceives as "bright and/or tinny" may be what another hears as "nicely extended high end".  You can only hear for yourself.

If anything, what seems to be valued most around here is an individual's right to experiment and decide for themselves what sounds good.  Those ideas are shared and we can take them or leave them depending on our own tastes and budget. 

I'm an extreme skeptic myself, but lately, I'm learning that a few things may need a second look. 

Just keep listening and let your ears be your guide.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #112 on: February 13, 2012, 04:06:36 AM

Patrick, well spoken. I have personally found that most mods, tweaks and uprades to be highly subjective. Tubes and caps are at the top of the list IMHO. You will find that many of the folks here use A/B methods when performing mods. I had 3 types of 100uf film caps on hand when I built the crack, Solen fast caps, mundorf mkps and mundorf mtube caps. I A/B tested these using vinyl, cds, and digital files, I ended up using the mundorf mtube caps, which are suppose to be ps caps not output couplers, but they sounded best to me. If someone is happy with a stock amp, more power to them, I am envious. Honestly, if I could afford a Clear audio Statement turntable, (150,000 dollars, amazing engineering), I would probably have it for about a month before I would start thinking about how I could make it sound better. I may not be OCD, but I do have the O part.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #113 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
My favorite simile is that it is like spices.  Some people like jalapeno peppers others like Ancho peppers.  What is fit for one person isn't right for another.  If we were all the same there would be one car in the world.

I'll add wiring to Shawn's list.  Everybody hears things differently.  Not to mention a ______ (fill in an audio component or tweak or electronic component here) that sounds good in one system might sound horrible or make no change at all in another.

But do read my signature.

Offline BNAL

Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 07:24:06 AM
I'm looking to.replace the electrolytic output caps  with film and wa.Ted to k.ow what users of the Obbligato 100uF PS have thought about the sound when used in the crack. I have used the film in oils and have been happy with the results.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #115 on: March 20, 2012, 04:35:11 PM
I'm looking to.replace the electrolytic output caps  with film and wa.Ted to k.ow what users of the Obbligato 100uF PS have thought about the sound when used in the crack. I have used the film in oils and have been happy with the results.

IMO Obbligatos film caps would be a great option to replace electrolytics. I tried them as crossover caps and really couldnt like them, but I was comparing them with top end film caps. I dont see how you could loose replacing electrolyics with them. You got me thinking!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:16 PM
I used 3 47uf obbligato PS caps in my Bijou, they sounded great. Can't tell you how they would perform as output caps in the Crack, but I am using Mundorf MTube PS caps as the output in my Crack and I am very happy with them. Might as well give the Obbligatos a try. I think the Premium golds are easily one of the best bang for buck caps around. The only problem I have with Obbligatos is for some strange reason,(probably my strange mind), whenever I type, read or speak the name I get that damned song by Styx stuck in my head. (Mr. Roboto). Maybe Dr. Toobz could give me some insight into that one.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline patm

Reply #117 on: March 20, 2012, 11:58:49 PM
I have a pair of 100uf Obbiigato caps sitting next to my Crack kit on my work bench waiting for me to start the build. Would also like to here if anyone else has used them.

Pat McSween

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #118 on: March 21, 2012, 08:07:09 AM
Aside from the all the great points mentioned so far, I'd like to add that for me, even after the immediate A/B go/no-go testing, there is the much longer term test of just listening to a wide variety of cuts from your collection and just taking notice if you feel there is something you miss or really like about the change you made.  It's not even an analytical thing, just take notice of how much music you're playing and if you look forward to it, don't feel fatigued afterwards, are listtening longer or shorter, etc.  Of course this can only be done when all is well burned in, and really has to be a long term thing so as to account for normal variations in season, mood, and other things going on in life.  It's why I generally tell people up front that this is not a hobby/pursuit for the impatient :-).

Of course a lot of people will just want to go with whichever they find to be the better choice at the time of the modification, which is also very valid, especially after a certain amoutt of experience to guide that initial decision.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #119 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:57 AM
Jim - point well taken - What you expressed so well is probably one of the most frustrating aspects of this pursuit, and clearly the most humbling.  I think that experience is why those with means drop such huge coin on kit (I'm talking about the $10k+ per component crowd). For them, time is precious and they just want to listen (taking bragging rights out of the equation). As a budget limited audiophile enthusiast, its good to know I'm in good company though!

Eric