low output mc cartridge

coors · 11206

Offline coors

on: April 21, 2010, 03:40:07 PM
Hello,
I am curious especially after building the SEX amp, I have a dynavector te kaitora rua cartridge .26 mv output running through an Ayre P5xe pre-amp.  there is a little noise at higher volume levels so the pre amp is not completely quiet.  Would the Eros accommodate the dynavector cartridge and if not is there a good step up transformer?
Also given how amazing the SEX amp is would the Eros best the Ayre?(I know this is a loaded question), I do love the Ayre but there is just something lacking.
Thanks
S

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:51 PM
A 1:10 step-up into the Eros would do a nice job.  The Altec 15095 wired as 150:15k would do the job nicely! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:06:13 AM
An often given answer (by me): You should go to the General forum and ask for a Bottlehead in your area.  Then bribe him with promises of beer and good music to come over with his Bottlehead phono stage.  You might not find an Eros, you might not find a Bottlehead, but if you are lucky you can answer your question and find a new friend.

That is why I began a search for new speakers, so I could buy Paramours.  My speakers didn't quite make it with the Paramours but I heard the magic.  Thanks to poster Matts many years ago!

Offline coors

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:02 AM
Thanks for the responses
A couple of things else
I am a newbie, so even though I looked up altec besides seeing that it is a microphone transformer that is used for MC cartridges I do not see how I would acquire or build one. Hint-where do I go from here?
In terms of having someone over, that is a great idea, BUT(of course I have to add an excuse), I am really trying to understand the underlying electronics and circuits.  I figure I will give myself about 10 years to get some understanding, by then I will be an old crotchety man but at least I will have a hobby!
I have been trying to get a handle on all of this, I can now fully appreciate why some pieces of audio equipment are expensive however I also realize that the designers of the bottlehead equipment fall into the genius category. 
I am not only trying to get better music into my home I am also trying to understand the underlying engineering.  Maybe that is naive on my part.  After putting together the SEX amp I really have no clue how the sum of the parts equal an amplifier, so any beginners guidance is also welcome.
I am certainly willing to take the leap to build the phono stage I just want to make sure that the resources invested will be an improvement on my current one. 
thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:03 AM
Re: "In terms of having someone over, that is a great idea, BUT (of course I have to add an excuse), I am really trying to understand the underlying electronics and circuits.  I figure I will give myself about 10 years to get some understanding, by then I will be an old crotchety man but at least I will have a hobby!"

I'm not getting it.  Someone else who knows how these work can only help you.  It takes time to consume some of these things.  We all started with no knowledge.  You will never be as old as some of us.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:08:59 AM
I am a newbie, so even though I looked up altec besides seeing that it is a microphone transformer that is used for MC cartridges I do not see how I would acquire or build one. Hint-where do I go from here?

Well, you will need one pair of 15095 transformers, one pair of octal sockets, two pairs of RCA jacks, and maybe a double pole double throw toggle switch. 

Here is what you are "looking" to build essentially:
http://www.bobsdevices.com/4722a.htm

The cartridge feeds the 150 ohm windings paralleled (instructions to do this are printed on the foil of the 15095's).  The output to the Eros is taken off the 15k winding.  On the foil sticker on the 15095's, you will see that pin 2 is the shield of the can, so that must be grounded.  If you get the parts together, we can easily help you here to get it all together.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man